• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Fit: How Close the "V"?

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
When fitting shoes, how close should the "V" that the uppers form be?

Is there a generally agreed rule for that?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
EG in London told me about a quarter to half inch at the top of the V.

i was told the sqame thing in tassels in HK too so i wouls use this as a guideline too!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if they close and there's no gap, but the shoe fits well?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
What if they close and there's no gap, but the shoe fits well?

you could say that is personal choice, i do have this with a pair of shoes and with no real problem but they have become more loose over he months and there is no way i can tighten them and i refuse to put in a instep, perhapsd try a more narrower shoe! or 1/2 size smaller

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flusser says a quarter inch. In my experience, if they close completely, the shoes are too wide.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Part of this is an aesthetic preference. In general, the English prefer that 1/4" spacing, at least in RTW. All of my bespoke English shoes line up parallel. I prefer no gap, myself.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like tight laces, and on the shoes that line up perfectly in parallel, I don't get all the support I would like. I do think that one should have nearly parallel quarters, but there should be some room to cinch them up.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess if we are considering a "V," we are discussing balmorals. However, I believe the consensus is that the gap should be wider on bluchers, with which the gap may not describe a "V." I'm with Manton on balmorals; I think that having the facings parallel with virtually no gap looks best. On bluchers, a gap of maybe 1/4" to 3/8" looks best to me.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Flusser says a quarter inch. In my experience, if they close completely, the shoes are too wide.
My shoes are RTW, but I think I simply have wide feet so it's all good.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Yes, balmorals.

So, an inch gap is a sign that the shoes are too narrow, right? I guess I should return the ones I just purchased.

Thanks for all the advice.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
Yes, balmorals.

So, an inch gap is a sign that the shoes are too narrow, right? I guess I should return the ones I just purchased.

Thanks for all the advice.

Not necessarily. "Narrow" refers to the measurement in the toe box area, more or less. An inch gap at the throat could mean you have a high instep. I have plenty of shoes that fit me well but have fairly wide gaps at the throat because of my high inteps.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Ah.

The toe box area actually fits really well. But I do have a fairly high instep.

I thought the new shoes looked good and fit well... except that the "V" is rather wide at about an inch or so. So perhaps I should keep them.

I am actually 9 1/2C, but I usually buy 9D. Usually that fits well in length, but a bit wide. I recently tried 9 1/2B, and found to my surprise that it fits much better in both length and width (not too snug in length, but just snug in width for that form fitting feel). The only problem is this gap at the V.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
the 'rule' i guess is to have a quarter inch gap at top, but i dont concern over that as long as the shoe fits and is comfortable long term.

saying that if there is no gap that the shoe is too wide, is too general of a statement because it really depends on the make and design of the shoe.

a shoemaker who believes in a quarter inch gap may construct the leathers around my 10D shoe to have a quarter inch gap. if i put on a 10.5 D shoe of his , it may just well close up at the top.

but another shoe maker who does not concern over that, may make my 10 D shoe to have it close all the way at the top, and if i wear his 9.5 D maybe it may be too small and there will be a quarter inch on top.

so you cant say anything about what is correct in general, just case by case according to the shoemaker and how they constructed it.

actual gauge is not the superficial look on top, but the way it fits around the ball,instep, and arch of foot.

you can have a quarter inch spread , but the fit around your feet mayb e too tight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads