• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe fit help

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I just purchased a new pair of shoes. After wearing them out for half a day, it has become apparent that the fitting around the heel area is off. For some reason, the back if the inner shoe grinds away at my heel. It's extremely painful. Does anyone have a quick fix for this? I know you can buy some plaster to stick to the inner heel area if the shoe to soften the area... anything else?

Thanks

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a band-aid until the shoe breaks in. That is the shortest 'quick fix' answer I can give you,
and it's not the correct answer for reasons that will soon become apparent when others with more energy ring in.
You could also rub a candlestick into the heel. The wax may help.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This happens without fail with every new pair of shoes I have ever owned in my life. I let it grind away and wear them in normal rotation. After they break in, and my feet get accustomed it stops happening.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one shoe that reliably does this to me are Florsheim Kenmoors yet also reliably, 2 weeks later they're comfortable ever after.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
This happens without fail with every new pair of shoes I have ever owned in my life. I let it grind away and wear them in normal rotation. After they break in, and my feet get accustomed it stops happening.

Do you mean every pair you have ever owned has been uncomfortable from the start and that you consider blisters the norm until the shoes are broken in? Respect.

Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
The one shoe that reliably does this to me are Florsheim Kenmoors yet also reliably, 2 weeks later they're comfortable ever after.

How many wears does it typically takento break them in?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Gentlemen,

I just purchased a new pair of shoes. After wearing them out for half a day, it has become apparent that the fitting around the heel area is off. For some reason, the back if the inner shoe grinds away at my heel. It's extremely painful. Does anyone have a quick fix for this? I know you can buy some plaster to stick to the inner heel area if the shoe to soften the area... anything else?

Thanks

What brand is the shoe? Most brands have different fits and this is hard to tell. I just went through my sizing issue with Alden and i am currently thinking that brand is not for me (probably a last issue). Trickers fit amazing out of the box. My only advice for the future is dont go with suggested sizing go with what is comfortable because i was sized down by other's "standards" and now i have a shoe thats a bit small on me. A bit bigger is always better imo...

Edify Inc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Gentlemen,

Thanks

How is the shoe fitting otherwise? If everything else is fine, one of the reasons may be that the heel is too deep for you. Try using some heel pads.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IDK about this "breaking in". Any pair of shoe I've ever owned that didn't fit right would grind my heel (too small of a size). They've since been sold. My many other pairs that all fit do not do this. You may have the wrong size...

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Life is too short to wear shoes that don't fit comfortably. Try a different brand or model.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads