• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Fights: SF Building a Ready-to-Wear Shoe Hierarchy

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Links don't work.
confused.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Links don't work.
confused.gif

What kind of error did you get? I have been receiving votes normally. Also, if you're at work, you might be blocked.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
What kind of error did you get? I have been receiving votes normally. Also, if you're at work, you might be blocked.

Not at work, but I was on Opera, switched to Firefox and the link is working now.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a really interesting idea, and one that's quite useful to those just starting out. Sometimes you don't care about price (as in a great find on B&S) and just want to know how good stuff is in relation to other stuff. Obviously it's more nuanced than this, but how can you go wrong pitting shoes against each other?
fight[1].gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ranking updated to reflect the most current data

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good stuff. there is evidence here to suggest what I suspected: the SF groupthink that Alden is a great value is largely BS.

Crockett & Jones Benchgrade, AS Premier, and Grenson Rose can all be found right now on Pediwear for prices at or below Alden @ Shoemart/Alden Shop, and most people rank these better than Alden.

at best, this means Alden at full retail is not a great value when compared to shoes in its tier. at worst, it means its actually below average value, given than Alden is actually a bit more expensive and ranked lower.

Dexx

Reaction score
I want to throw quarvif shoes (italian) into the mix. Very good quality for a decent price.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
good stuff. there is evidence here to suggest what I suspected: the SF groupthink that Alden is a great value is largely BS.

Crockett & Jones Benchgrade, AS Premier, and Grenson Rose can all be found right now on Pediwear for prices at or below Alden @ Shoemart/Alden Shop, and most people rank these better than Alden.

at best, this means Alden at full retail is not a great value when compared to shoes in its tier. at worst, it means its actually below average value, given than Alden is actually a bit more expensive and ranked lower.

+.5 Alden makes great boots and SC. The SCs, especially their boots, at around 600 are a very good value imo.
Their calfskin shoes though are nothing special and most of the lasts are just as "blobby" as AEs. And the NST shoes that seem to be pretty popular around here are ******* butt ugly in photos and irl. The NST boots look ok, but that giant seam right down th emiddle makes the shoe look like a giant penis with a pulsing vein running across the middle. no ****

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
+.5 Alden makes great boots and SC. The SCs, especially their boots, at around 600 are a very good value imo. Their calfskin shoes though are nothing special and most of the lasts are just as "blobby" as AEs. And the NST shoes that seem to be pretty popular around here are ******* butt ugly in photos and irl. The NST boots look ok, but that giant seam right down th emiddle makes the shoe look like a giant penis with a pulsing vein running across the middle. no ****
yeah, I could see things like Shell bluchers and shell boots being the sweet spot of "when to buy Alden". but AE also makes shell bluchers - models like Leeds and MacNeil (especially in shell) are classic and are very comparable to similar Aldens. and they are cheaper. so are Alden bluchers really a great value? only if you think AE's shell bluchers are as well, imo. so I'm kind of down to "shell boots and chukkas" wrt what I would really buy from Alden. I guess there is a reason why Leathersoul says their best Alden seller year after year are their chukkas

Macallan

Reaction score
Church's Royal Collection should have been included, since there are two ranges for Crockett & Jones. There could have been a head-to-head of both ranges from the shoe-makers

Secondly, do we view John Lobb Paris as both ranges or just Prestige. In my opinion, would rank Prestige above Edward Green and Classic below.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads