• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe fetish.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Menjou.jpg

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, not quite. My cabinet is not that high
biggrin.gif

Looking to improve

Reaction score
I dare say I'm not even close to such a collection of shoes, and I'm not shure I'll ever be. I must say that when I first saw this picture (in Flusser's last book) I was struck by the closet. I'm still trying to figure out how to realise a similar one in my own home. And while (or is whilst better?) I'm at it, also create some room to store the ties I'm not wearing that particular day.

The collection is stunning, and I still see something new every time I look at it. I just wish the picture was in colour...

MtB

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My cabinet is not that high
Yes, I agree. All this wasted space between the individual shelves. Put them closer together and you can get the same number of shoes into a cupboard less high. To answer your question, LabelKing, (in my best Miss Piggy voice): "Shoe fetish...moi??"

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My shelving is not nearly as elegant, and I'll betcha those are all bespoke. My piddly collection cannot compare
smile.gif

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another good shoe collection photo can be found in the Sotheby's auction catalogue for the Duke and Dutchess of Windsor auction. The portion of the Duke's collection that is shown is both impressive and repetitive . . . two or three pairs of summer correspondant loafers alone. Must be nice.

A tad off-topic, but has anyone found a nice solution to storing a lot of ties? Preferably in a manner taking up as little space as possible, but keeping the ties nicely?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seriously, what do those of you with extensive collections do for storage? I'm running out of room...

PeterMetro

Reaction score
My favorite part is the collection of boots at the bottom - with what appear to be full length boot trees.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, what do those of you with extensive collections do for storage? I'm running out of room...
We have built in book shelves in our guest room, where I keep my shoes . . . sort of displayed like Menjou, although obviously not the same caliber of shoes. My wife hates that I do this (even though we rarely have overnight guests).

I'm not sure what I'll do if and when I get kicked out of the guest room.

I have seen some over the door grey flannel bag-type storage devices. Although not the most elegant approach, they protect the shoes well, save a lot of space, and are convenient for shoes in one's regular rotation.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am thinking of building or finding short stackable racks for the floor of my closet. A simple frame with two dowels (one under ball of foot, one in front of heel) would be enough to hold up most dress shoes, and then I could fit them all in without stepping on any toes. I don't have nearly that many (one can dream) but I don't like the idea of having my sliding closet door hack into the toe of one of my favorites, either.

dorian

Reaction score
Awesome. Simply awesome. And I mean, I am in awe. And ever so inspired.
smile.gif

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use three stacks of these: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product....&RN=51& Each units "stores" 6 pairs of shoes. The 18 that are worn most frequently take precedence while my specialty shoes and nicer stuff goes stored in the closet in their original boxes. I'm think about adding one more level and nailing 1" x 2" to the back for added support. I'll use the top level to store some textbooks and hopefully mask the appearance of all of those shoes. norcal

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(TCN @ 06 July 2004, 09:14) We have built in book shelves in our guest room, where I keep my shoes . . .
But, but...where do you keep your books.? Â
sadlike.gif

Downstairs shelving. I tried to explain to my wife that supplying a guest with more than four or five books is just asking for them to extend their stay.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads