1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe fetish.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jul 6, 2004.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

2. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Hmmm, not quite. My cabinet is not that high [​IMG] .

3. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior member

I dare say I'm not even close to such a collection of shoes, and I'm not shure I'll ever be. I must say that when I first saw this picture (in Flusser's last book) I was struck by the closet. I'm still trying to figure out how to realise a similar one in my own home. And while (or is whilst better?) I'm at it, also create some room to store the ties I'm not wearing that particular day.

The collection is stunning, and I still see something new every time I look at it. I just wish the picture was in colour...

MtB

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, I agree. All this wasted space between the individual shelves. Put them closer together and you can get the same number of shoes into a cupboard less high. To answer your question, LabelKing, (in my best Miss Piggy voice): "Shoe fetish...moi??"

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

My shelving is not nearly as elegant, and I'll betcha those are all bespoke. My piddly collection cannot compare [​IMG]

6. TCN

TCN Senior member

Another good shoe collection photo can be found in the Sotheby's auction catalogue for the Duke and Dutchess of Windsor auction. The portion of the Duke's collection that is shown is both impressive and repetitive . . . two or three pairs of summer correspondant loafers alone. Must be nice.

A tad off-topic, but has anyone found a nice solution to storing a lot of ties? Preferably in a manner taking up as little space as possible, but keeping the ties nicely?

7. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Seriously, what do those of you with extensive collections do for storage? I'm running out of room...

8. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

My favorite part is the collection of boots at the bottom - with what appear to be full length boot trees.

9. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

10. TCN

TCN Senior member

We have built in book shelves in our guest room, where I keep my shoes . . . sort of displayed like Menjou, although obviously not the same caliber of shoes. My wife hates that I do this (even though we rarely have overnight guests).

I'm not sure what I'll do if and when I get kicked out of the guest room.

I have seen some over the door grey flannel bag-type storage devices. Although not the most elegant approach, they protect the shoes well, save a lot of space, and are convenient for shoes in one's regular rotation.

11. j

j Senior member Admin

I am thinking of building or finding short stackable racks for the floor of my closet. A simple frame with two dowels (one under ball of foot, one in front of heel) would be enough to hold up most dress shoes, and then I could fit them all in without stepping on any toes. I don't have nearly that many (one can dream) but I don't like the idea of having my sliding closet door hack into the toe of one of my favorites, either.

12. dorian

dorian Senior member

Awesome. Simply awesome. And I mean, I am in awe. And ever so inspired. [​IMG]

13. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

But, but...where do you keep your books.? [​IMG]

14. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I use three stacks of these: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product....&RN=51& Each units "stores" 6 pairs of shoes. The 18 that are worn most frequently take precedence while my specialty shoes and nicer stuff goes stored in the closet in their original boxes. I'm think about adding one more level and nailing 1" x 2" to the back for added support. I'll use the top level to store some textbooks and hopefully mask the appearance of all of those shoes. norcal

15. TCN

TCN Senior member

(TCN @ 06 July 2004, 09:14) We have built in book shelves in our guest room, where I keep my shoes . . .
    But, but...where do you keep your books.? Â [​IMG]
    Downstairs shelving. I tried to explain to my wife that supplying a guest with more than four or five books is just asking for them to extend their stay. [​IMG]

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Regarding Menjou: he was voted Best Dressed Man in America nine times over the years, and his autobiography was appropriately entitled "It Took Nine Tailors."

Jon.

17. kabert

kabert Senior member

I vastly expanded my available shoe storage space in my closet (not to mention cleaning it up considerably) by installing cedar shoe racks purchased from dann-online.com; very fast shipping by Dann too. Here's the link: http://www.dann-online.com/clothing/...othingmain.htm They are made by Woodlore (owned by Allen-Edmonds). I bought 4 and stacked them "two and two." My closet now smells like a cedar closet too.