Shoe feedback needed

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

Hey: I am looking for a pair of casual chocolate suede laceups for fall and winter use with cords and earthtone shirts. I was wondering what you all thought of these chocolate suede laceups from Ferragamo: They pop up on Ebay a lot for about $160. Seems like a good deal, no?[​IMG]]link[/url] Edit: Sorry I can't make the image bigger, I am having trouble with Image Shack.

2. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

About 3 years ago I bought a pair of chocolate suede lace-up boots by Ferragamo from their Studio line.  They still look pretty nice.  They're easy to brush out.  One point of critique, the heel is all of rubber so wears somewhat rapidly.  The toebox (?) suede has begun to show a bit of wear, sort of like a white haze, which brushes out fairly well.  I am not sure why the wear appears here.  Maybe the material is not the sturdiest, or that is where the boot creases.  I would buy them again at a discount.

3. profjmb

profjmb Member

I have a pair of these and find them very comfortable. And they look good. Will you wear them year round?

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

How's the construction on the Certos? Comparable to Ferragamo Studio?

6. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Better - that's a good deal on those Certo's...

7. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Stu,

I remember that you were buying Aldens now and then. Isn't the Ferragamo style too tapered in the toe for you, especially with the larger leg openings in your Incotex and at least the pleated Purple Label trousers that you own? Between Certo and Ferragamo, Certo seems more substantial and better-looking.(Lance provided no consideration in return for this opinion).

8. Stu

Stu Senior member

I kind of mix and match. Love both Aldens and Ferragamos. These particular shoes I would wear with brown or tan cords and earthtone shirts in the winter. The Alden Fan line has one in a more chiseled toe with an Norweigan split toe -- very very nice.

9. Stu

Stu Senior member

OK, now I'm leaning more toward Alden. Going to pay more but these shoes are really nice. Am torn between 2 models. One has a commando sole, which would lend itself to casual use, with jeans as well as cords and flannels, correct? Â The other is a double leather sole, which is more limited in its use, correct? Comments? Commando sole Double sole norwegian Edit: Â Links are nutty. On the first link, scroll down through the shoes on the left side of the page. It's about the 14th image from the top, the 6-eyelet kid suede oxford. On the second link, scroll down to see the last image on the right, at the bottom of the page. That's the shoe.

10. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Well, Stu, as I started your diversion from the less expensive Ferragamos, I thought I'd respond, even though my Alden experience is limited to loafers.

I wouldn't wear the Commando sole cordovan boots to my office on a casual day, even with corduroys and a flannel sport shirt-just too casual a shoe IMO with this type of sole. Great with jeans. I think it would be hard to wear with a sport jacket (maybe tweed, not a blazer), even tieless.

The Norwegian would be the shoe I'd pick (but only because my own taste is more for suede and less for cordovan). The double sole seems to make it more of a winter shoe. Could wear it with a casual suit (no DB-solid gray flannel seems OK) all the way down to jeans. Suede shoes are really suited for any textured trouser (whether twill, corduroy, or flannel). I remember a post on that subject on "Ask Andy".

My 2 cents.

11. Stu

Stu Senior member

OK SS, now I'm gonna go spend $325 instead of $150 and it's all your fault. [​IMG]

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

FWIW, forum member Kai seems to be a big 'fan' of the Fan Shoe with commando sole, and I'm pretty sure has stated that he wears it with suits. Just throwing that out as I don't see him on the forums very often these days.

13. thinman

thinman Senior member

I like both shoes. I'm not a big fan of Norwegians in general, but they're growing on me...I'd probably buy the first pair (and I may add it to my wish list. SS costs you money....you cost me money. Isn't that how StyleForum works?).