• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe emergency!

Borky

Reaction score
I need some semi-formal black shoes for this weekend on Saturday, however all I have are some ****** squarish toed J&M's and squarish Kenneth Coles (bought these when I was young and stupid, way before SF).

Anyway, I need suggestions pronto for something cheap I can get preferably at Macys, but I also have access to Nordstroms & Saks. If they have a good return policy for shoes that would be even better... but I'd rather not keep something cheap and right now I can't spend much more than $150.

Thanks!

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Borky
I need some semi-formal
boxing[1].gif
black shoes for this weekend on Saturday, however all I have are some ****** squarish toed J&M's and squarish Kenneth Coles (bought these when I was young and stupid, way before SF).

Anyway, I need suggestions pronto for something cheap I can get preferably at Macys, but I also have access to Nordstroms & Saks. If they have a good return policy for shoes that would be even better... but I'd rather not keep something cheap and right now I can't spend much more than $150.

Thanks!

Nordstrom has the best return policy, but please consider if you really should buy something, use it, and return it when it is not defective. I would advise against it.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I agree with Hopkins
wow.gif
on both counts.
You might be able to get something perfectly serviceable at Johnston & Murphy for under $200, or even at Nordstrom's or Macy's, especially if they're having a sale.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above posters. Not a good practice to buy, wear, and then return for no valid reason( other than to get a free use of the shoes!)

Your best bet for a deal would be on-line, but you don't have the time. Use the net to look for sales at B & M stores in your area.

Borky

Reaction score
Well can anyone suggest some inexpensive brands besides J&M I can try?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well can anyone suggest some inexpensive brands besides J&M I can try?

If you have a Saks Off Fifth, you can get their "Folio" shoes or "SFA" shoes pretty cheap (<$125). I would also suggest Herring Shoes for some Loake (same shoes as Tyrwhitt) seconds for about $110-125 or so shipped. Nordstrom should also have a house brand that might be cheaper than all the ones I mentioned above.

hughjoen

Reaction score
I was young and stupid, way before SF).

Good Advice from above posters! If you've learned from SF, please DO NOT buy intending to return them later. Above all else, character counts, even more so than looking stylish. If you have Nordstrom Rack nearby, its another choice you have.

Borky

Reaction score
No clearance or outlets stores like that near here. Just Saks Men's, regular Nordstroms, and Macys. Macys seems like the cheapest option I think.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No clearance or outlets stores like that near here. Just Saks Men's, regular Nordstroms, and Macys. Macys seems like the cheapest option I think.

macy's carries a giorgio brutini line of shoes, I think. They'll be cheap and look relatively good but they won't last you more than 3-4 wearings. No go on the Herrings?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some semi-formal black shoes for this weekend on Saturday, however all I have are some ****** squarish toed J&M's and squarish Kenneth Coles (bought these when I was young and stupid, way before SF).

Thanks!

This is for tomorrow? Do you really want to rush around shopping for shoes at the last minute?

Just how bad are these 'squarish' J&M's -- do you have a picture? Though it may irk you a bit to wear something you've outgrown stylistically, if they're at least in good condition, you may do better to go with what you have - just for this one event - rather than risk making an ill-advised choice under time pressure.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate having to shop for an article of clothing under time pressure. It's one thing if you know what you want, and it's just a matter of going in and buying it, but when you're trying to find out what's available and evaluate different possibilities with the clock ticking... ugh.

Also, you'll probably be better off saving up a little longer and buying a good pair of $250 shoes. Chances are no one at this event will think ill of your squarish toes anyway (what is the event anyway?) -- and those who would would probably not think much of your $150 shoes either.

So I vote to wait, and make a good investment.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1, unless you want to go to thrifts or consignment shops.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics