• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Dilemma - Picture of EGs Included!

Infinite42

Reaction score
As a present to myself for having taken the bar exam, I bought my first pair of Edward Greens at the Chicago Ralph Lauren store. I'm absolutely in love with them. They were on sale for $500, and I have included a picture of them in the following link:

http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1704pj8.jpg

Now I must decide what to do with my ill-fitting AE Park Avenues, which are also black in color. They are one size too narrow. I have narrowed my choices down to either taking them to a cobbler to have them stretched or to sell them. One question I have is whether having a shoe stretched alters its appearance at all...basically, would the upper would look "wrong" on the sole?

Another consideration is building my professional wardrobe. I do not currently own any acceptable brown shoes. The EGs and AEs are essentially pretty similar - so would I do better to sell the AEs and put the proceeds towards a pair of brown shoes?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Title edited to grab attention!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Those look terrific!

Sell the AEs and invest in brown shoes. They go with everything.
smile.gif

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes. All these EG pics have led me to save for some purchases come the next trunk shows. You guys (esp. aportnoy) really should be getting commission checks.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoes can generally be widened by a width without affecting the appearance significantly. So if you like the Park Aves, and they can be made to fit comfortably, they might make good rain shoes for days when you want to protect your EGs. Or, if you'll be at a conservative firm, you can use them to rest the EGs on alternate days.

Do you know where you'll be working? Would brown shoes be considered acceptable?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Get the AE's to the cobbler and see what can be done to make them fit.

Or you could just mix up a solution half alcohol and half water, saturate the tight area inside the shoe, and wear them around the house with thick socks.

Those EGs are beautiful, btw.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Or you could just mix up a solution half alcohol and half water, saturate the tight area inside the shoe, and wear them around the house with thick socks.

Those EGs are beautiful, btw.

whats your poison?

will vodka do the job?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Infinite42, what RLPL model are those? They don't quite match a standard EG model--the closest being the Ladbroke, but the latter has the swan's neck feature, which these don't. I'm also curious about the last--doesn't seem tapered enough to be the 888, so maybe the 606? In any case, just fabulous shoes--so trim and elegant with the soles cut back the way they are. And previous posts absolutely right about stretching. Any good cobbler can gently stretch your A-Es one letter width without it changing the overall appearance noticeably. I'd do that, so that you have a backup for these beautiful EGs, and find another way to get the browns.

Infinite42

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind responses.

Doc, I am not quite sure where I will be working just yet, but all signs are pointing to clerking for a judge for a year before moving on to a firm. I suppose I have just assumed that brown would be acceptable anywhere within the legal industry...am I mistaken?

Roger, this model is the Peering. Another member is selling the same model on the forum, and he lists the last as being the 89E. I am still quite the newbie and am unable to find this on the shoe, so I will tentatively defer to his listing.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the 89 last. The width is E. The 89 last was commonly used for RLPL shoes a year or two ago. As you can see from the picture, it has a wider toe and less pronounced chisel than the 888.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
whats your poison?

will vodka do the job?

If I were going this route, I'd just skip the water altogether. Then you'd forget your shoes were too tight all the faster.

That's right. Any shoe stretch solution should be applied internally and vodka is no exception, but just don't waste it on the shoes!

Although you could get your Park Avenues stretched, I would sell them and put the proceeds toward a pair of brown shoes.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I would sell them and put the proceeds toward a pair of brown shoes.

How much could used AE's fetch? Just curious.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
How much could used AE's fetch? Just curious.

$100? Depends on the condition of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads