• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe dilema

seanandnik

Reaction score
I have a wedding to go in Florida in the beginning of October. I recently bought a Southwick s/b 100% cotton suit to wear to it. The color of the suit is a black and white houndstooth, but it is a very greyish black and the combo effect of the two colors looks almost like a beige. Herein lies my shoe and shirt problem. I am not going to wear a tie(i know i can almost hear all the gasps) and want to wear a casual shirt. I was in Drinkwaters's (great store by the way, and Gary and his beautiful wife are very helpful/knowledgable) today and I bought a nice casual 100% linen ss beige/ecru shirt from his Drinkwater shirt collection and was wondering if it would match and look alright with my suit ? how about the shortsleeves? and the shoes are going to be either a off white/ecru,beige spectator from johnston&murphy or a nice light brown suede casual hush puppy with a crepe sole I got from Mr. Sids. I am going to try to include pictures of these choices so you guys can help me out. Thanks
I tried but cant figure out how to post a pic, sorry

arkirshner

Reaction score
A black/white pattern jacket with a mid tone beige blouse is a known but rare combination in women's wear.  (and for those of you who might snicker, colors are gender nuetral and in combining colors in men's sportswear we can learn a lot from women) I did not find a black/white pattern jacket with ecru
combination in my admittedly  modest collection of color guides. Of the colors usually found in men's clothing I did find Red, Blue, and cool green tops favorably matched with black/white pattern
suits.  And what you are putting together when you come down to it is not traditional dress for a wedding but a sportwear outfit.  I leave it to you to put on your suit and try different shirts and see what really works with your skin tone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads