• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe decision

Robotclaws

Reaction score
I'd like some advice on a shoe purchase that I need to make in the next few weeks. I'll be moving to Bogota and need a decent quality shoe that can work with a suit and in more casual environments. I've kept my eyes open for deals for the past six months or so, but living in the Midwest, having a US size 13 foot, and being unwilling to wear used shoes makes it difficult to find what I'm looking for. I've considered ordering a pair of C&Js from pediwear, but the time and money that I would spend returning them is prohibitive. I've been looking at a couple of Santoni Nuvola shoes. I know that these are the low line of Santoni, but my understanding is that they are still of decent quality and ok for the money on discount ($250-300). I also consider the rubber sole, which looks pretty inconspicuous to my eye, to be a plus since I will be on my feet all day and living in a rainy city. I rarely wear a suit. I'd appreciate people weighing in on these choices or giving an alternative. I'm only looking for a brown lace-up, but I prefer something sleek. I'm not picky in regards to brogueing, captoes, etc. I didn't care for the Allen Edmonds that I tried at my local men's store.

The first shoe is about $250, the other is $350. I think that the second will probably be a more versatile shoe though. It looks like the white balance is off on the second shoe... its considerably darker than it is in this photo. Thanks in advance for advice and recommendations.

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score
I like the second one better; but I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
both look good to me

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better to purchase shoes locally once there, perhaps even a bespoke pair? A tribute perhaps to your new home and less chance of them being stolen. I certainly wish you success in your business endeavour.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who steals dress shoes?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/06/world/americas/06bogota.html

"49 percent of respondents said they or people in their homes had been the victims of crime in 2010, the highest level in more than a decade."
Wow.

Well done Fredd.
A Piranha gang will see him coming a mile away and while one holds a knife to his throat, his friends will take those nice shoes and anything and everything else. They can cut a mans clothes off his body in 60 seconds. I would advise against wearing expensive things in poor countries.
Here is an example of such a gang, this one in Lima Peru:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Robotclaws

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the second one as well. I hadn't considered bespoke shoes. I'm not sure about the going rate for work of this quality in Colombia, but its something I'd be interested in trying if the price is reasonable. I'll definitely have to have a few shirts or a jacket made while I'm there. Shop The Finest had a new shipment of Sutors come in, so I'm going to see what is in stock in my size before I commit to buy. I'll let you know what I decide.

Unfortunately, crime is something to take into consideration. I'd rather not get stabbed over my shoes and 10,000 pesos.

Thanks to everybody that has replied so far. Your opinions are much appreciated.

Jon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads