1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

The problem of quantity v quality is always going to be a difficult one and probably a paradox. We mostly learn about quality shoes as we go along. We start with appreciating lower quality shoes and only wake up to quality, later. This leads to quantity. If we only knew then, what we know now - and if we were rational - we would limit ourselves to, perhaps, four really good pairs of shoes. But we are human and learn slowly.

All this, of course, is wiped out if you have seemingly huge amounts of money, so that you can quickly switch from 'poor quality' to 'top quality'. At a guess, I would imagine that many people don't fit into this 'cash driven' category. As with all of these things, I may well be wrong. For those of us with limited budgets, though, we buy what we can.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. scrolls

scrolls Well-Known Member

Such a great color. Would love to see in the wild pics if you have any.

3. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Let's not neglect variety, either.

5. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Well-Known Member

Really like DW's take on this issue. There is good and good enough, and each person will weigh the two differently.

6. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Via the PSA thread, I heard that Ron Rider Boots was having a close-out sale of sorts on a line he had been working on but decided to bail (still going on here: http://riderboot.com/product-category/going-going-gone/). I had always had my eye on a RR boot of some sort and thought this was the opportunity to jump in the pool.

Granted, these aren't his normal forte; very Italian and a long way stylistically from his more blue-collar makeups, but I thought I could use a touch more style in my mostly conservative stable. That low profile, sleek blake with a beveled waist is hot (I'm channeling my Inner Spoo).

Ron's promo pic:

[​IMG]

My pics after having had them on-off about 10 times over the past week of prelim break in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mine are the Paul in dark brown. I'm a US10.5+ and took Ron's advice to size up .5 on the last and they fit perfect.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    2 people like this.
  7. emidyl

emidyl Well-Known Member

I also saw that line up of shoes and was contemplating a purchase. Those boots look fantastic. How is the overall quality? How does that particular last fit?

1 person likes this.
  8. razl

razl Well-Known Member

The quality is very good, I'd say Carmina level (I think I recall someone in the PSA posting a message from Ron when he said as much, even citing Carmina by name). My pair arrived in excellent condition with no defects or problems. Fit and finish was all, flat out, excellent.

Bang-for-the-buck is amazing - I thought the quality for Ron's original pricing at about $450 was competitive, at the ~$300'ish he's selling stuff at now, it's a steal. I'm really tempted by the same boots in brown suede and those black cap toes.

I find the last + fit to be excellent; the boot fit snug out of the box but is just starting to flex and break in and really feel like it's going to be a winner. Ron is right about the narrow toebox and sizing up .5 got me the room I needed there while still keeping the rest of the shoe sleek.

In short, if the style first you, I couldn't recommend them more.

Oh, one last note - they are tall. I've got a range of boots and these are my tallest at 8" to the top edge. When you factor in that it's a single sole, that's a lot of boot height. By comparison, my C&J Ludlow had been my tallest at 7.5", but with it's double sole + dainite, just doesn't present as vertical as this one. I like it a lot, it was just a bit of surprise in person; I just didn't register it from the promo pic.

9. emidyl

emidyl Well-Known Member

thanks for the detailed report razi, at that price even with our crazy cnd $ exchange the deal might be too hard to pass up. Will see if they do a shipment up here.
    cheers

10. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Well-Known Member

Very nice. I wonder who's shoes he stocks currently. He's got a great sense of what's excellent quality for the price point he wants to sell at. For years, he stocked Borgioli's that were very nice indeed. I ended up purchasing an antiqued chukka, some shell derbies & some antiqued work boots... and all are tons of fun to wear.

11. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Well-Known Member

In short, if the style first you, I couldn't recommend them more.

Is this what you mean?

12. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Yes :embar: And, for those who can't do video: [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

Ron Rider always seems to be having a close out sale.

1. use the spoiler tag my man, saves forum space, see below, highlight images in a quote and click that and it will appear like the below
    [​IMG]

""

2. RR quality is fine, i had his boots for a quick second and compared to CJ, Alden, carmina i would say its all good so if price is right go for it.

14. Jazzmenco

I purchased a pair also, should arrive next week. I also got his last pair of navy blue suede chukka boots for $195. Great deal. I have 3 pair of RR boots, all very fine quality.

15. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

I actually had him reply to a post of mine a few years back, it was good to chat with Ron.

16. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

You got those size 12s! I had been watching them and the price was perfect. I wear a size 11.5 and I just could not make up my mind. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  17. Jazzmenco

Actually they are size 10 and they run 1/2 size large so should be perfect for me. [​IMG]

18. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

I'm a little late to the party, but those look great Razl.

19. Jazzmenco

There is still a pair left at size 11.5 and Ron suggests to size up a !/2. [​IMG]

20. razl

razl Well-Known Member

:fistbump: