1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Close enough - mine were a bit less as shipping to Canada and the US was included - definitely half off or better. And I have to say, the roomy toe box is something of a revelation in comfort. Feels like there's enough room to play the piano in there. Overall, out of the box comfort is essentially unmatched. I pretty much never wear a brand new pair of shoes all day - on a long day no less - but did so with these without issue.

But what has really impressed so far is the "hillbilly leather" - which kind of like a glossy chromexcel. Very supple and luxurious feel. Can't wait to see how it handles the bad weather.

2. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Damn, the 8.5 might have worked for me then. Never mind, triple soled tanks are fine for me

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello nst boot
    argyles otc

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You just posted the same thing a day ago. On a bender or something, are we?

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Sorry! the update on the Iphone posted yesterday picture. It has been corrected

6. MightnMagic

MightnMagic Well-Known Member

I've just checked that seller(Ci'e), I'm a little bit confused about the terminology, they said that those are goodyear welted shoes, but the picture shows that they are actually handwelted(I don't like GYW). well but the leather of Ci'e definitely looks much better than the previous one I mentioned

7. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

During my conversations with the seller, he/she explained to me only three construction methods, the most of expensive of which is GYW. I wasn't told of anything being handwelted. I doubt the authenticity of 90% of the pictures on Taobao. Usually they're copies from the Internet and are used to "show-off" the product, but don't actually mean anything. The leather is good - for the price. It cannot/should not be compared to major Euro makers for example. Also, the seller I mentioned only does D(medium) width shoes.

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Cíe, or Shanghai Tianzi Shoes as they're perhaps better known, www.aliexpress.com/store/702551 is their web store, has been my shoemaker for years. They make excellent GYW and Blake stitched shoes. For the price, they simply cannot be beaten.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Part deux of the Dinkelacker koppage. The moment I strapped on the Norweger boots posted earlier, I e-mailed Ed to see if the dark brown shortwings were still hanging around. They were. Until they were boxed up and shipped north. :) "Dark" brown doesn't quite cover it - if there is such a thing as midnight brown, these are it. I have always wanted something in the big, broad, sturdy, stompin' Budapester tradition and this pair checked that box handily. These are likely to become the bullies of the shoe rack - I can just see some of my more delicate dress shoes cowering away, eyes downcast, affording the Dinkelackers a wide berth. And again, I am impressed by the comfort afforded by a broad last with a tall toe box. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Magnificent RogP :nodding:

11. mimo

mimo Senior member

Wonderful. I slightly hate you.

3 people like this.
  12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Those are DARK!! Kinda wish mine had the goyser but the trip sole makes up for it.
    Must post pics!

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks gents. ;-)

Ozzy, they are a bit darker in my pics than in real life (late evening light) but that is how they look when indoors. The trip sole on your pair is extra-stompin'-awesome (and iirc, came with flush brass toe taps?). Anyway, enjoy the heck out of them - I know I will. And do post pics!

14. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Congrats Roger, those look amazing!

15. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Yeah, brass taps. I'll try to post pics tonight; they're still in hiding from the missus! :embar:

16. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ LOL, yeah, new black captoe bals can slip past notice a lot easier than these.

17. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

I thought they might be close enough to my Budays in colour to pass as the same shoes but they're a fair bit lighter so I think she'll notice. Maybe not tho; new Carminas flew under the radar!

18. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

I am very glad to see you bought some Dink's. I've loved their ultra-gunboat styles for a long time, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger based purely on questions about leather quality. They always looked fantastic new, but the used pairs I have seen always creased quite extremely. Please take some pics after you have worn them a bit, I am getting a hankering to pull the trigger myself once again. Thanks.

19. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Will do my man. Nothing in the first couple wearings to suggest that leather quality will be any kind of a negative issue at all, but time will tell. The supple chromexcel-ish Norvegese barely crease at all. The leather on the shortwings is stiffer (as one would expect) but their first outing is today and so far there is less pronounced creasing here than on my Vass P2 boots (where there certainly wasn't an objectionable amount).

As you know, I'm sure, creasing has a lot to do with many factors other than leather quality. The problem with judging used shoes is that you have no idea if they fit the wearer properly in the first place, what conditions they were worn in, or if they were well maintained.

1 person likes this.
  20. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

X post from Buday thread.
    Tobacco shell 39 last courtesy of @edmorel and Panta.
    About 6 wears in.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.