1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

amen.

2. MightnMagic

MightnMagic Well-Known Member

well I wouldn't be able to tell without the last picture. Anyway, tony G said it's fine to have sole guard, even on bespoke shoes

3. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Burton, what a way to open a discussion.

4. europrep

europrep Senior member

If you live in a city with a lot of rain/snow, you are destroying shoes by not adding some sort of protection. Undoubtedly you will get stuck in foul weather without your swims handy.

5. Burton

Burton Senior member

My comment was unkind I am sure. Apologies. It is my opinion, however. I live in Chicago, we don't even have nice Spring weather here much less pleasant winter weather. I would never topy. Buy some Swims. If you must topy, why not just buy a rubber sole? Sorry, I can't see spending good money on a shoe a doing that to it. I know, vive la difference. Wurger is proud that he tope's-- he can handle my comments. I don't walk into a great restaurant and dump salt on my meal either.

6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I put Topy on my wife's shoes (at her request) and would probably put it on any customer's shoes who insisted. But I won't put it on my own.

At some basic level, it seems to me not so different from bonded leather--in both cases a waterproof, occlusive, and perhaps even wear/scratch resistant synthetic is adhered/bonded to a layer of leather.

I have a hard time respecting or valuing bonded leather...I guess I see Topied outsoles in the same light..

It could be argued...if logic and reason have any weight....that any justification for Topy as protection or waterproofing or for the sake of saving the shoe, is an equally valid rationale for bonded leather uppers.

--

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  7. jdanielca

jdanielca Senior member

Meh there are good topys and bad topys, if my shoe or boot is gonna see a lot of abuse I would topy it, I travel lots and I cannot have a huge collection of shoes to rotate I am intending to get a pair of £1000 boots, a recessed topy and metal toe cap is going on that

Kinda like this [​IMG]

I know why they put topys in France, because I have the same problem where u live there is sand everywhere they use it on the paving etc, that stuff gets embedded into the leather sole and is almost impossible to get out

8. MightnMagic

my shoes without topy are now pebble-soled...are they good to look at? Absolutely no... And yet no one has complimented on my pebbel sole

9. jdanielca

jdanielca Senior member

You mean commented, as with most things we do things to make ourselves happy, not other ppl :)

10. MightnMagic

can any one tell if this is a pair of goodyear welted shoes? saw these santoni on yoox, on the socks they say santoni Goodyear, but from the side view, i think the welt(if that is the welt) looks different
    [​IMG]

11. europrep

europrep Senior member

What does Yoox list as the original price? Santoni Good Year welted shoes run $1,200 +

12. MightnMagic

US$585 on yoox

13. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Closeup certainly looks like a welt

14. NiFTY

NiFTY Senior member

Crosspost from Carmina thread

My favourite purchase from recent wedding trip to Italy/Paris.

Carmina double monks in shell (no. 4?)

Store in Paris was incredible, great service from sales assistant (Miko), not intrusive when browsing and she even polished my shell riderboot chukkas for free which had been savaged by the uneven cobbles in Rome/Milan/Paris over the preceding 3 weeks, even before i had made a purchase.

Would not hesitate to go back and spend a tonne of cash there. Was also keen to get to Septieme Largeur but was running out of credit card after carmina. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. MightnMagic

16. europrep

europrep Senior member

If you haven't already, check out affiliate Shopthefinest. Good supply of Santoni and Sutor.

1 person likes this.
  17. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

18. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

A bunch of pics of my new Gaziano & Girling MTO, ordered through Skoaktiebolaget. Hove, Vintage Oak, DG70-last, F-width, Single Dainite sole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    4 people like this.
  19. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Oh boy, G&G offers some of the best leathers on RTW pairs anywhere. Looks good enough to devour.