1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

Snowiest and wettest winter in NJ in many years *possibly most in recorder history". Rather than invest in the single-season hiking boots I usually purchase (then disgard after winter ends) I went with a rotation that leaned heavily on elephant skin chukkas, 1940's veldtschoen captoe boots and some ancient sealskin boots. Each pair got at least 25 wears. Each pair was completely enveloped in snow and ice... as I enjoy shoveling for exercise in the cold months. Leather was soaked (although none of the pairs actually leaked) and salted. So much salt was used on the streets and sidewalks that the boots would have a thick white coating after wearing. The salt actually ate thru the all leather heels of all 3 pairs... but the leather is unscathed. All I used was a couple of layers of cream polish and they are still soft and beautiful.

Better than any modern hiking boots I have ever worn.

3 people like this.
  2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

First time out (Xpost from JL): JL Chambord II [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. chogall

chogall Senior member

By leather was soaked you do mean that both upper and sole are wet all the way through insole/sock liner?

p.s., if they are soaked all the way through insole, then its damp inside, aka leakage. No?

4. b4awl

b4awl Member

[​IMG]

My 'collection'. All reheeled by me. Hey, how about those Florsheim's 'made in India'..

5. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Great colors shoes and pant

6. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

Isshi is going to be wet...

8. benhour

benhour Senior member

roger great chukkas !!!love the color and shape(even i am not a chukka fun)!

i am here after a big absence cause some issues i had but i hope i ll find all friends here !!! to all of you best wishes from Greece

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  9. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

No spoilers because wow.

10. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

No. no leaking. No leather on insole. Upper leather was soaked... which usually leads to major trouble.

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Cheers. [​IMG]

12. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Cleverley night out.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

[​IMG]
    gg's ftw

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    2 people like this.
  14. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Back in the day, Edwin Clapp made some excellent shoes. For SF's viewing pleasure: hand lasted vintage long wing spectators in dark brown grain calf and white buckskin(?) with round-but-chiseled toe, linen vamp lining, protruding heelcup, tight welt, contrast leather piping, plenty of toe spring, slim leather soles as well as beveled waist. I'm sure part of Clapp's success was due to that indescribable sense of proportions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Bams

Bams Active Member

Those are amazing. What colour combination are they?

16. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

they're "#22 medium brown" and dark brown highland grain

17. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

First six shoes I bought since starting work a couple months ago. I hope it was a good start. Might have overdid it as I have like 5 more shoes on the way... Thanks SF!

[​IMG]

Just for kicks, shoes I wore during school.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

ironist, you can never over do it!

Nice rota there. :nodding:

You got black calf coming in the new 5?

19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Methinks you need more boots. Are those some of the 5 incoming pairs?

20. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Yes, I bought a dark brown calf chelsea. I also got put on the list for an Alden Ultimate Indy but that's probably a year or so away. I also have a wolverine 1000 I haven't included. The only other boot style that interests me is probably a balmoral boot like a shannon II or wigmore which might be my first really expensive shoe/boot purchase.

Thanks, Cleav. Well I'm trying to get on the list for a grey museum calf / black calf oxford if that counts :D. Never really liked black shoes. I have a cheap pair of johnston murphies stitch caps that I bought and wore for a couple of months for interviews but haven't worn them since. I don't wear suits more than a couple times a month so I don't really have that much of a need. That being said, if I was going to buy black shoes I was looking into getting another chelsea, wholecut with a chisel toe, or another double monk. I just feel like black looks better when it is sleeker.

The next shoes are tan country calf, plum museum calf, and gold museum calf. I do need some shell, a lighter suede, a blucher, and loafers. I find it hard to like bluchers and loafers though and I really don't know what shoe would be best with shell. I'm thinking a boot or LWB but not sure what brand yet as I want something sleek. I just want to get all the colors I can and hopefully not overlap too much in terms of models.