• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Inclined to agree. The suede has been burnished at the toe and heel. It is apparently on trend and a pleasing aesthetic, but not to my tastes

I agree!

It's a fashionable 'distressed' look that started maybe eight or ten years ago in Italy. The suede gets rubbed with fat (something like 'Dubbin') and burnished. The technique is not dissimilar to the 'wax calf' in classic riding boots. Here the leather flesh-side (rough side) out gets covered with fat and then smoothed with a deer bone and elbow grease to get a high shine.

http://horacebatten.com/boots/wax_calf_riding_boot

It has nothing to do with the construction. Resin-based stiffeners have been used for the last fifty or so years and millions of conventional suede shoes have been produced since.

Call it what you will: a 'fashion', a 'craze', 'design'. You either like it or you don't. But once you've got a pair of shoes that have been treated like that, you're stuck. That look cannot be removed, once the fat has soaked the suede it stays in there for good.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I recently acquired a pair of loafers made from Russian reindeer calf. Beautiful stuff, and the story obviously makes them even cooler. My only question is regarding their care.

I haven't got anything in this leather, but apparently it has a tendency to become dry. As far as I know, Cleverley has a conditioner that is specifically formulated to keep that leather moist. You should have been given a jar with your bespoke shoes (unless your shoes did not come directly from Cleverley).

Nevertheless, get in touch with Cleverley.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I assume that a coat of Reno will suffice every 10-15 wears (as is standard practice with the rest of my loafers), .

why do you want to overfeed them, honestly. pls take care of them seriously.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, and that someone might deliberately do that and another person consider it attractive is equally scary.
If the shoes in question were deliberately "burnished" stressed, whatever, it blows my theory about the glue in between layers.
But I still suspect that it was an attempt to remove the burnishing which resulted in the look of the shoe in the last photo.

It's definitely deliberate.

It can look attractive, in a streetwear sense, but those are a very poor example. Not to mention that they've opted for the wrong style to burnish - you'd want to do it on military or motocycle inspired boots, not chukkas.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re-posted from the Rock your shoes and socks thread on the suggestion of fritzl.

My MTM oxfords from Shanghai Tianzi Shoes:

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems a lot of makers want to re-create the "Vintage Effect" in shoes by taking new ones and coming up with new methods to make them look "old".

In the meantime, I'm spending my time trying to come up with better methods to re-furbish 70 year old shoes to make them look new again.

Interesting

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's definitely deliberate.
It can look attractive, in a streetwear sense, but those are a very poor example. Not to mention that they've opted for the wrong style to burnish - you'd want to do it on military or motocycle inspired boots, not chukkas.

If you just naturally wear suede hard withit fussing over it within a short space of time it will naturally distress in a more authentic fashion IMO.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2ahurs6.jpg

black medallion cap toe boot
argyles otc
2mmecys.jpg

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fritzl said:
cross post:
does fullbrogue and monk go together? what do you guys think?

I haven't worked it out yet.

I alternate between keeping these at the back of the cupboard for months and then wearing them for a week.

fritzl - as a fellow Australian - I'll take your opinion.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I haven't worked it out yet.
I alternate between keeping these at the back of the cupboard for months and then wearing them for a week.
fritzl - as a fellow Australian - I'll take your opinion.

you're welcome.

let's see. i discovered this particular pair around two years ago and finally it's in my hands now. i'm debating with myself to keep it or bring it to a good home. we'll see.

the facts: the leather is delicate and the caramel colour is amazing. it's on one of the two most traditional lasts of the Austro-Hungarian school - the almond shaped "Wiener Leisten". this is a no brainer - pure elegance, so to say. the brass buckle fits in perfectly with the warm tone of the colour. i'll try to make some more pictures from different angles for your pleasure.

ten of ten on my scale.

well, you might know that i'm not a biggest fan of double-monks. at the end of the day, i don't mind them and they definitely do not bother me in any sense. it's a horses for courses scenario. your pair looks decent and for me the full brogue blends in well with the overall characteristics. wear them in good health.

Bullitt

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies.

I agree with you, I don’t like the idea of pre-distressed shoes either.
Or pre-distressed jeans. Or pre-distessed anything.

The shoes I bought don’t look like the shoes on my first photo, which I found somewhere online. They look quite normal. Only close inspection reveals that the leather is different on heel and tip, as shown in the detail photos. Let’s see what carefull brushing does to them and then decide whether to keep them or not.

church_sahara.jpg

@ bengal-stripe These riding boots are beautiful. I wish I was around horses enough to justify a purchase. Maybe the Jodhpur boots...
http://horacebatten.com/boots/strap_jodhpur

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads