1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

Had some time to do this today :)

[​IMG]

Open in new window for larger size pic.

Back row L-R: Alden (Leydon), Alden (Barrie), Carmina (Uetam), Carmina (Simpson), C&J (337), C&J (337), EG (888), EG (888)
    Middle row L-R: EG (888), EG (888), EG (82), EG (808), EG (888), Santoni for Borrelli, StC (Chiselled), StC (Classic)
    Front row L-R: Vass (F), StC (Classic modified), StC (Classic modified), StC (Classic modified), EG (888), EG (888), EG (82), G&G (MH71)

I know, I need loafers and double monks...

11 people like this.
  2. stevent

stevent Senior member

Balling collection and who needs loafers or iGent shoes?

2 people like this.
  3. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

You need to stop buying new shoes.
    You do own plenty of nice ones to rotate around already, wear them!
    What a waste if 23 pairs sit at home waiting every single day.

My favorite is the dark brown suede chukka by EG on the 808 last.

2 people like this.
  4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

+ 1 great collection

5. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

Everyone needs them :nodding:

Thanks! Well, they all get their wear time... no waste here.

Thanks!

6. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

You have a marvelous collection!

7. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

utter nonsense. There are 365 days in a year. As long as a pair of shoes is worn once a year, it is getting loved. Anything over 365 pairs MAY be excessive. :nodding::nodding::nodding:

2 people like this.
  8. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Awesome collection! Great selections.

9. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Some people pile up as much as they can, for the sole reason because they can.
    Others can appreciated the time, materials and worksmanship needed to create something unique.
    They will handle those products with as much respect, pride and care as possible for as long as possible, no matter how much more they can afford.
    Style has little to do with dress and a lot to do with attitude, which is why some people will never be regarded as classy or stylish by myself no matter how good their shoemaker or tailor might be.

Charles does it right
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

Difficult to judge whether a person has a true love and respect for their shoes or if he is just "piling them up" because he can.

How can we tell if Charles really loves and appreciates the craftmanship that went into his shoes and wardrobe? Maybe he DOES have an understanding of materials, construction and the artistry involved. BUT, maybe he just hates going shopping and therefore relies on his assistants to send his over-worn items to be repaired rather than g thru the process of fitting, etc to get new.

IMO, those Lobbs are just plain ridiculous. His continuing to wear them looks more of an issue of laziness than true love. By the time the uppers look like that, the footbeds are totally flattened and really should be totally recrafted. After a point, it is just wiser to toss and start anew.

I personally own around 100 pairs of shoes at the present time. I care for each pair personally and each pair is worn at least once a year.

11. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I might have overreacted, but calling my post, in which I suggest to someone to wear his (at least) 24 pairs of shoes instead of buying even more, nonsense, made my blood boil a little.
    I hate watching people collect things which are meant to be used in large numbers only to use them far too little or not at all.
    I consider wearing a shoe only once a year a waste of time, material and worksmanship because it's very likely the shoe will outlive me without myself getting the better part out of it beforehands and that is not what the craftsman made it for.

As for Charles, sure we don't know and never will.
    But you said it yourself, it's a pair of Lobbs, they have at least one bespoke last of him, so no need for excessive fittings.
    In the time they have added the patches and resoled the shoes they have for surely replaced the foot bed as well.
    I'm pretty sure Charles does not wear his clothes patched because of laziness, he is much too vain for it to be true, but because he knows about and lives up to his role as a representative.
    Also I think all three examples shown above look very nicely, the pieces have obviously experienced a lot and have a unique story to them.

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

Don't mind Charles' patch on his suit, didn't even realise it when I first read your post, but I do agree that he needs a new pair of shoes.

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Those shoes have been covered before on SF. Most, as I recall, were happy he's kept his shoes viable all this time.

15. chogall

chogall Senior member

Peasants cannot always justify and model their behavior after a Prince.

And the dead Sun King should not imitate a Prince's style.

16. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

G&G MTOs came in (quick iPhone pics):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. mimo

mimo Senior member

As I understand it, he has rather a lot of shoes. He's a great believer in traditional workmanship and has commissioned many English makers over the years. But it seems he has a special sentimental attachment to this particular pair of shoes. One story I heard was that they were a gift from his (late) favourite uncle Louis.

Still, remember also that he's a man in his sixties, who was raised in the ultimate aristocratic surroundings. It's a cultural thing among those people to avoid waste, and I've come across many "old money" types in torn Barbour jackets and scuffed wellingtons, driving their beaten up Landrovers full of straw and sheep shit. These people know how to dress formally, but they also detest fuss and superficiality. It's an odd world. And of course a little ironic considering the cost and concept of a royal family, but that's just the way it is.

As I believe they say in New Jersey: "fuckin 'eh!"

*[To my knowledge, His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, has never in his life said "fuckin' eh".]

18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1

I understand that is, indeed, how Charles (and many others) is/are.

19. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

Thank you!
    I agree :)
    Thank you both!
    Congratulations, they look great!

20. wurger

wurger Senior member

Well said, Mimo