1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. europrep

europrep Senior member

I guess a tutorial is the most helpful overall, but I do find it very helpful to have a short video included to show certain techniques. Sometimes words can't do it justice.

2. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

3. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I've decided everything on the 888 last is amazing.

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

Beautiful GG semi brogues!

5. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

6. deburn

deburn Senior member

There are tons of tutorials in that thread and lots of other places. I just like reading about shoe care in general - not sure why I like it as much as I do, but I do - and I'm not even that much into getting a spit shine. Reading about it also motivates me to go condition/polish my own shoes. There's a reason that shoe care thread has 6584 posts. You could shut down that thread after the first few pages :)

1 person likes this.
  7. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Talking about mine? I like being unique and I know its not always SF approved but I enjoy reading and looking here for stuff that can help me improve.

8. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

:eek:

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i think so only because the Galway could be worn in any occasion, including most formal ones. Construction, value, etc are different matters all together..

10. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

I wouldn't ever say your taste in shoes needs improving, it's just different. The complete opposite of the spectrum from pb and his black shoes.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

PB, don't you only wear black shoes? black shoes and charcoal/black trousers, both free of almost any adornment or as some would call it, personality? would you also agree that these two colors complement your complexion and also impress upon your coworkers/friends a particular image unique to you. so why then would you wear Justins combos? afterall,you both have different personalities, professions, networks, etc.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  12. wurger

wurger Senior member

Well said, it's all about the image we want to portray, I am back to black shoes mainly again.

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

Gaziano & Girling Oxford MH71 Black in action

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. mimo

mimo Senior member

PB is an undertaker.

15. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

I have only one pair of black shoes from Cleverley and have not worn them in the last three years rest of the pairs are all in different shades of brown and a couple in red!

16. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Allow me to take you guys on a yearlong adventure for MTO shoes. I was in the market for a pair of shoes and my friend was raving about Bestetti and after inspecting a couple of his shoes, I figured I’d use him.

I sent him this picture of a pair of Japanese shoes and told him I wanted my shoes to look similar except that he should obviate the eyelets and have it made in brown. I also asked that my initials be punched in the front of the shoes, in place of the regular medallions.

[​IMG]

Determining the size was perhaps the most harrowing out of the entire process. He had me put on shoes whose sizing system he was familiar with – Cleverley, John Lobb, Crockett & Jones, Vass and Meermin – and tell him my size in them, how I felt in them, and send him pictures of the shoes so he could, by looking at the flex-points and bulges, ascertain the size I’d need.

Here’s an example of a picture of well-worn Meermins I sent him

[​IMG]

I also provided him with actual measurements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fast-forward 5 months later, and I didn’t have any updates. I was getting a little hot under my collar and at the same time, beside myself with anticipation.

I sent him an email and requested for pictures of the work in progress. I was mildly disturbed when I realized that he didn’t make them to my specification. The language barrier had come in the way. He had punched ‘broguing’ details all around the shoes, whilst I had only requested them to be punched in the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TBC .....

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Some humble AE Vinci's, from their retired Seven Collection:

[​IMG]

I love plain toes...

1 person likes this.
  18. bboysdontcryy

I was a little resigned -- it doesn't look that bad with the broguing -- but brought that up with him. To his credit, he decided to remake it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He then sent me pictures of the shoes that were semi-complete –

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also reminded him about the monogram/initials as medallion, and he provided me with a sample that I didn’t quite like. Supposed to be “C L’

[​IMG]

I then proceeded to go check out the various fonts and decide which I liked. I did a digital mock-up of how I wanted my initials to look and sent them to him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TBC .... (sorry, need time to type).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  19. bboysdontcryy

Nice shine.

20. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Hope this helps, PhotoShop-Fu:

[​IMG]