• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally found an EG that I felt wasn't so "vanilla". I like the u-tip design, the unique medallion and the xtra broguing throughout. Finish is typical EG, so nice, i think.

IMG_6189.jpg

IMG_6195.jpg

IMG_6197.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This has got to be some of the most awful shell color matching I have ever seen. I hate the last, too.
AS_whisky_shell_cordovan02.jpg

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This has got to be some of the most awful shell color matching I have ever seen. I hate the last, too.
AS_whisky_shell_cordovan02.jpg

There are guys that will pay extra for "rare color matching) shell!!

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rotation is a factor, but proper trees is paramount. I've got some shell Borgioli Bluchers that I've worn maybe 20 times and there is barely any rippling at all.

yeah, yeah, very funny wise guy. :satisfied:
The amount of time even your favorite pair of shoes spends on your feet is very small versus the time they spend in storage. Even if one owned 2 pairs of shoes and wore one pair 12 hours every other day, the ratio of storage time to worn time would be 3 to 1. For SF members, the ratio is MUCH higher. THIS is why it's smart to make that "Tree Time" count! If the trees fit tightly, that's the shape they'll take. If they're loose, and the vamp is left flexed, THAT's the shape they'll take... especially with shell.

Tight trees can stretch shoes in undesirable ways. I suppose a better way to instruct is to use proper trees, i.e. lasted. The trees that came with my RLPL EGs weren't tight, but they had less toe spring than the shoe, so they effectively straightened out vamp creases without overstretching the shoe, for instance.

:plain:   but the board likes u man

You missed it, teh sarcasm :)

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tight trees can stretch shoes in undesirable ways. I suppose a better way to instruct is to use proper trees, i.e. lasted. The trees that came with my RLPL EGs weren't tight, but they had less toe spring than the shoe, so they effectively straightened out vamp creases without overstretching the shoe, for instance.

You missed it, teh sarcasm :)

I've seen some "lasted" trees that allow the vamp to stay somewhat flexed while being stored. I don't like that. Personally, I've never had a pair of shoes that stretched from using tightly fitting trees.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suppose a better way to instruct is to use proper trees, i.e. lasted.

"lasted" and "proper" aren't synonymous. If lasted isn't an option, there are other "proper" options.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"lasted" and "proper" aren't synonymous. If lasted isn't an option, there are other "proper" options.

Perhaps. But you don't want someone going out buying trees a size larger because they want them to fit "tight". The trees should either come with the shoe or be sized like the shoe. I avoid trees sized like t-shirts.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps. But you don't want someone going out buying trees a size larger because they want them to fit "tight". The trees should either come with the shoe or be sized like the shoe. I avoid trees sized like t-shirts.

If they are "a size larger", they either won't fit or you'll have to struggle to get it in. In that situation, obviously, they're too big.

What do you mean by "sized like the shoes". By the way, this is why I prefer vintage trees. No "small, medium, large" crap. Sizes go up by shoe sizes and many widths are available.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the easy thing to do is just get the lasted trees with whatever shoes you buy and not worry about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads