• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Care to extrapolate? I thought it was pretty spot on.

Alligators and crocodiles seem come in two variations...because they are bilaterally symmetrical, the belly tiles are usually arranged on either side of a clear "dividing" line that runs down the center of the belly. Sometimes that line will run unbroken from the throat to the anal vent. The left shoe is an example and has that line all the way to the toe.

Other times the line will split and you'll get an extra tile or two right where the line would ordinarily be. The right shoe is one of those.

Neither variation is superior to the other in terms of quality or even aesthetics. But they are different.

There are several ways to cut alligator. You can even cut it on "on the bias" such that square tiles (from prime leather) display on the lateral side of the shoe while small round tiles display on the medial side. No harm, no foul. We still need to match skins but we can be a little more casual.

But when the skin is cut to display the tiles running straight across the vamp then matching the skins becomes paramount. Simply because that dividing line becomes a "visual reference" that the eye is immediately drawn to.

When a maker orders from a dealer he needs to specify matched skins...and one of the criteria that must be given weight is the the way in which the tiles are laid out.

Crocodile or alligator skins come from living animals and each skin is unique so a perfect match is not possible but matching skins means paying attention to tile size, tile shape and tile location. All these criteria are important.

Two out of three isn't a match, IMO

What's more, the dividing line on the left shoe is centered; on the right it runs off to the lateral side.

If it's a match it's a careless match.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, DW. You summed it up nicely. You would agree though, that this is something .001% of the population would get looking at those shoes though, right?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks, DW. You summed it up nicely. You would agree though, that this is something .001% of the population would get looking at those shoes though, right?

Ordinarily you could make a case about most issues of this sort.

But once you add the "visual referent" it's a different story. While most people couldn't articulate the reasons the shoes look "off," make no mistake, the eye has nevertheless seen it.

One of the reasons we deem something "ugly" or "beautiful" is these subliminal cues that we don't stop to analyze. And some people are more affected by them than other people. Some people even train themselves to be more aware of them.

BTW, there are other anomalies on those shoes. Look carefully at the insteps...while the tile sizes and shapes seem well matched the insteps are not cut to match. The interstitial lines run across the instep at different angles and at different locations on the instep.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alligators and crocodiles seem come in two variations...because they are bilaterally symmetrical, the belly tiles are usually arranged on either side of a clear "dividing" line that runs down the center of the belly. Sometimes that line will run unbroken from the throat to the anal vent. The left shoe is an example and has that line all the way to the toe.
Other times the line will split and you'll get an extra tile or two right where the line would ordinarily be. The right shoe is one of those.
Neither variation is superior to the other in terms of quality or even aesthetics. But they are different.
There are several ways to cut alligator. You can even cut it on "on the bias" such that square tiles (from prime leather) display on the lateral side of the shoe while small round tiles display on the medial side. No harm, no foul. We still need to match skins but we can be a little more casual.
But when the skin is cut to display the tiles running straight across the vamp then matching the skins becomes paramount. Simply because that dividing line becomes a "visual reference" that the eye is immediately drawn to.
When a maker orders from a dealer he needs to specify matched skins...and one of the criteria that must be given weight is the the way in which the tiles are laid out.
Crocodile or alligator skins come from living animals and each skin is unique so a perfect match is not possible but matching skins means paying attention to tile size, tile shape and tile location. All these criteria are important.
What's more, the dividing line on the left shoe is centered; on the right it runs off to the lateral side.
Ordinarily you could make a case about most issues of this sort.
But once you add the "visual referent" it's a different story. While most people couldn't articulate the reasons the shoes look "off," make no mistake, the eye has nevertheless seen it.
One of the reasons we deem something "ugly" or "beautiful" is these subliminal cues that we don't stop to analyze. And some people are more affected by them than other people. Some people even train themselves to be more aware of them.
BTW, there are other anomalies on those shoes. Look carefully at the insteps...while the tile sizes and shapes seem well matched the insteps are not cut to match. The interstitial lines run across the instep at different angles and at different locations on the instep
Look,
it clear to see.
lt not great match.

Yeah granted guys, but they still go up to ELEVEN
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You know, this is the second pair of shoes that you have said this about of mine. I think all of the ripples are caused by my odd feet. I think you are evaluating shoes based on fit, which is kind of irrelevant to do with shoes unless they are bespoke. I would have a major issue if these were bespoke and creased like this, but if you look below at two pairs of shoes that I own you see some similaraties. I really think it is because I have yet to find a shoe that fits my high arch and high instep correctly.
a2285851.jpg

5667412797_314259f133_b1.jpg

fbcb8b29.jpg

Patrick you seem to be supernating on your right foot. Since I had a full knee replacement I have the same problem. I then pronate on the left foot. You supernate a little on the left foot but not las much as the right.

Just looking at your shoes there you may need orthotics.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

the buckles look cheapish, if i may say.

never been a fan of the tuczek/cleverley toe, though

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This was what most stuck out to my warped mind.

Patrick you seem to be supernating on your right foot. Since I had a full knee replacement I have the same problem. I then pronate on the left foot. You supernate a little on the left foot but not las much as the right.
Just looking at your shoes there you may need orthotics.

I don't know what any of that means. I do know that I have badly knocked knees from when I was overweight for most of my youth, maybe that has something to do with it all.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Surely not.

In fact, for me, there's even an element of disrespect that is more troubling than the result---at best, the leather has been diminished, IMO. At worst, wasted.

Because whether you like them or not, think how much better they could have been...if the maker had simply slowed down and taken the time to examine the skins and cut them more judiciously.

Maybe even a ten :sarcasm:

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

think how much better they could have been...if the maker had simply slowed down and taken the time to examine the skins and cut them more judiciously.

Yes. :nodding:

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many bad part,
but most bad part in circle.
No good maker should do that.
Very very bad. :violin:

Me send them back.
Clicker fail at job,
why he so bad?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads