1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

pin grain is fantastic stuff. it ages so gracefully.

i saw a fantastic make up at materna in black. something to die for.

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

this is not exaxctly the truth. i'm not a die hard u-tip afficionado, though.

when i look at a pair of EG, independent of their decade, i have somewhat high expectations. this also comes from the way people talk about them.

tbh, i wasn't aware of this rule as i see the big picture, when looking at shoes.
    i was with two friends. one was running a small mto operation for suits and shirts, also organizing complimentary shoes for special clients at that time. one guy received a pair, he had ordered and i was given them to make a comment. the "seller" asked me: do you see the fault? hmmh, which fault is he talking..., dang. well, the curve of the wingtip, he replied. gosh, i never looked at this, but you're right...

actually, i took a short look at my own shoes at home. i have only a few wingtips, though. no fault, as i expected.

back to our little story. looking at the old catalogue pic, you can see the curve on the sandringham is "correct", while the windsor is a little off. burton's shoes also do not have this issue. iirc, the few vass u-tips posted a while ago, didn't have it either, while the LL special edition has it. crazy world, imo.

so, maybe a real expert like e.g. mr. frommer or somebody with more historical background on english shoe styles and their development like e.g. bengal, can chime in and show us the light.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  3. Burton

Burton Senior member

PV,

I believe it was your refurb pics which inspired my discussion with Chay. I love the model and I am going to ask him to make me a pair in black and burgundy.

4. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

^^^Burton, that is great to hear! Glad you liked the style - Chay really outdid himself with those.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

love the this thistle broguing. the finishing on that pair is drool worthy

6. Burton

Burton Senior member

Kolecho different strokes. I chose the last and hence the shape of the toe is mine. As a fan of both EG and AS shoes (and an owner of multiple pairs of each) I see little difference, if any, between the EGs and AS handgrades and like EG there are a number of things in a MTO handgrade which can be changed to suit you personally.

7. Burton

Burton Senior member

I own the EG Sandringham as well and love that. Would like a pair of the Cardiff--I know, I have a problem.

8. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

That's a nice collection you've got going - Sandringham is a lovely shoe. What color?

I recently picked up a pair of Braylons for RL by EG in dark oak, which I think is similar to the Cardiff - minus the medallion:

[​IMG]

9. Burton

Burton Senior member

^^ Nice. I may like it better without the medallion. Mine are actually a spectator like version of the Sandringham. They are bauxite calf and a tan country calf.

I posted pics a while ago and caused a little uproar.

[​IMG]

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i almost forgot, that i have a picture of mine. hanjoy.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Very nice! What was the uproar about?

Speaking of spectators, I think these are actually Cardiffs - RLPL Whitaker by EG:

[​IMG]

12. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Fritzl - those look beautiful but what did you do to them? Those cuts along the front look painful :cry:

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

well, they have toned down meanwhile. i didn't watch my steps carefully... :D

glad you like them.

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

guess? the curve... :hide:

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello nst chukkas
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

16. Burton

Burton Senior member

LOL. PV it was a similar discussion and we don't need to live through that again. Suffice it to say that gemming discussions tend to bring out the worst in people.

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Burton, not sure if its been asked or answered, but how much did both pairs set you back? and what was the turn around time?

18. Burton

Burton Senior member

Edit: When I got home I checked pricing shoes are 795 GBP including vat which is less 20%. The trees were 100 GBP again less the 20%. Anyway, I thought it was a real deal since Chay was making me a shoe that he had to basically cut from scratch.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

+1
    I love this leather.

20. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Looks like you've been out getting drunk in those once or thrice.