Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello tassel
    argyle otc

2. Deedee

Deedee Senior member

This is really great. Thanks!

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Cheers.

4. forex

forex Senior member

Well, there are three different lasts here: Forest, Robert and Rain. Robert seems to fit the best among the three but I don't like the shape (just a personal preference), Rain and Forest have too much heel slippage. They are not long so I just think that the heel cup is too big for me feet. Maybe I should try some pads? I will try it this evening.

5. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

I almost missed this one. ULTRA Cool! Get 'em started young... and with a 100 year old style as well. EXCELLENT!

6. isshinryu101

Slewfoot's post inspired me (thanks)! Since I have become such a Vintage Shoe Addict, my kids decided to get involved. Although I started them on it by showing them my shoes & eventually buying them their own Vintage Shoes, THEY have since taken the reins & come up with their own opinions & INSISTED on me taking pics of their shoes before the school year started.

First, my son. He's 4 years old. He owns 6 pairs of shoes right now, but has decided he only likes 3 of them. He refuses to wear his 2 pairs of sneakers (only will wear 'em at gym class) & has aggravated my wife by refusing to wear the $100 Polo boots she bought him. His rotation now consists of

1950's Split Toe Norwegians. Has worn the HECK out of these, and they get worn often (probably his favorite pair).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND, wearing on first day of school...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

7. isshinryu101

Here are his "Dress-up shoes" as he calls them. Whenever he wants to be "Extra Handsome" (his words), he wears these... only with button down shirts.

1940's Wingtips

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually, I LOVE the last of these. Wish I had some wingtips this shape.

8. isshinryu101

Now for my daughter. 7 years old.

1950's Ghillies. I asked her why the white socks... she said "In the 50's, EVERYONE wore white socks... and proceeded to point this out in some of the 1950's movies she watches with my wife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. isshinryu101

Her favorite shoes now. She actually helped me pick them, and insisted I post a pic of the sole, as she says they're on a "very beautiful last shape" (where does she get this, is she a closet SF member???)

1930's Saddle shoes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. isshinryu101

11. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Very cool!

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of time spent with my father shining shoes. It was the one time of the week that I felt like I had his full time and attention. And that is what mattered.

Your 4 year old's shoes look very well cared for - is he participating in that aspect yet?

Only downside for you is that your sweet little children are going to be some very expensive teen agers/young adults! :D

12. isshinryu101

Many thanks for the reply, my friend. Actually, these are all either "before" or "1st day of school" pics. My son's shoes have taken a BEATING! Real leather on kids' shoes can be tricky, especially when they play hard & dirty. Every 2 weeks, he brings the shoes to me & says, "these need a "Daddy Shine". I take him to the office, we pick the right color of shoe cream & we both apply it with an old t-shirt (it takes a decent amount of polish because the shoes get worked OUT! Then he helps put them up to the buffing wheel. It's become a "Father-Son" ritual now. I love it.

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

thank you

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

thank you for posting and enjoy your relationship with your son

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Having grown up in leather shoes it's hard for me to imagine how foreign they are to many youngsters today. Yes, we beat them to death - but with care they held up long enough for us to outgrow them long before they were worn out.

Keep up those father/son rituals - they will mean more than one can imagine in the long haul.