1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Distinguished Member

I certainly do, my friend! Since I have so many pairs, many get worn a couple of times a year, but ALL get worn (if they fit! This pair DOES fit me, and will be worn for the first time in the next couple of weeks. I figured it best to take the photos before "breaking the seal", though!

2. Gdot

Gdot Distinguished Member

I go 1/2 size down from other UK manufacturers on C&J lasts - as I find they tend to run a bit large.

So I'm
    6.5 in C&J 348 and 341
    6.5 in Lobb (don't remember lasts)
    7 in G&G TG73 (they run quite snug on me but are known to be a lean lasted shoe)
    7 in general UK sizes
    7 or a 6.5 in Santoni

The Carminas are 7 and I'd say they are a smidge larger than C&J in 6.5 and even tad larger than G&G in 7 (both in width and length).

So I'd say they are pretty TTS if not just a smidge on the large side.

But I've only had them on hand for 1/2 hour so I may update you with a little more time to test them. Initial test didn't show me any fit difference between Simpson and Rain lasts. As a matter of fact holding the shoes side by side and looking at the soles Simpson and Rain look identical. The only difference I can make out is the slope of the toe box is slightly different between the two.

3. Gdot

Thank you.

Carmina refers to the color as Cognac.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

4. forex

forex Distinguished Member

Did you try them on? How is the fit? Any heel slippage? :D

5. Gdot

Just a bit roomier than I prefer. With new shoes out of the box I like them to be VERY snug - and they are just sort of snug.

Given your experience today as well I think we can say Carminas run a smidge roomy?

6. forex

forex Distinguished Member

I think so, I agree with you. I think going half a size down would not work (at least for me). It is possible that you fall in between sizes. My main issue is the slippage and I am not convinced it will go away.

7. Gdot

Yeah - I don't think I could 1/2 size down and still fit in these. No heal slippage for me.

8. Gdot

Here's some shots you won't see every day.

This is a G&G TG73 last size 7 side by side with the Carmina Simpson last size 7

[​IMG]

This is a C&J 348 last size 6.5 side by side with the Carmina Simpson last size 7

[​IMG]

Of course what's inside matters more than what's outside - but thought this would be interesting to dispel any unfounded rumors of whose lasts are longer than whose. The C&J 348 deserves it's rep for being long.

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

FWIW, I usually wear US size 11.5/EU 45...the Carmina Rain last size 10.5s I have are a TAD roomy and one slips a bit on the heel.

10. dandie

dandie Senior Member

depends in the location and occasion, but I'd definitely wear those with a crisp navy suit - I've been known to wear these

[​IMG]

11. glenjay

glenjay Senior Member

I am typically not a big fan of wingtip monks (too much going on), but these look great. When they start to develop a patina they will look fantastic.

12. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

imo, this is a little bit disappointing, referring to your initial request, it was a bit misleading. i was under the ímpression, that you have to be careful, due to your dough, anyway. i honor integrity. i'm out of this game.

13. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

I don't think these are from the rose line, must be some kind of MTO masterpiece like range.

14. rebel222

rebel222 Distinguished Member

Good looking shoes, but they look brown to me.

BTW: That reminds me of a rant. What's the deal with everyone throwing around the word "Grail." There is a B&S thread w/ those shoes in it claiming they are "Grail" shoes. They are nice, but in no sense of the words would I classify them as the Holy Grail of shoes. /EndRant.