• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cliche

Reaction score
Hmm to mutch for me. So the Chukka boots no fine?

Im thinking a pair of boots more to jeans and casual clothes...

Last edited:

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the world of leather upholstery for instance I know of no one who markets leathers of German origin. Italian leathers lead the herd (pun intended). Why? Not because the tanning or the leather itself is superior from Italy. But because the cows are larger when they are slaughtered, have generally not been kept behind barbed wire fences and thus the result is larger blemish free hides, which is critcal for furniture. What are the similar details in shoe making? I frankly don't know, but would like to.

Not to de-rail the thread but Hancock & Moore source their leathers from all over the world so they would probably have German hides. In fact I believe Capri (an expensive class IV hide) is German.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
really? too much antiquing, broguing for my taste. ive also never heard of the brand.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gdot

In the world of leather upholstery for instance I know of no one who markets leathers of German origin. Italian leathers lead the herd (pun intended). Why? Not because the tanning or the leather itself is superior from Italy. But because the cows are larger when they are slaughtered, have generally not been kept behind barbed wire fences and thus the result is larger blemish free hides, which is critcal for furniture. What are the similar details in shoe making? I frankly don't know, but would like to.

Not to de-rail the thread but Hancock & Moore source their leathers from all over the world so they would probably have German hides. In fact I believe Capri (an expensive class IV hide) is German.

So angels break-dancing on the heads of pins is a weekend thing here . . .

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So angels break-dancing on the heads of pins is a weekend thing here . . .

Sorry 'bout that. I'm just trying to learn more about shoe leather sourcing and ways to possibly verify various quality levels. Apparently what I seek is not available (technical specs or quantifiable info, etc.)

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's time for my next buy of shoes next week. I need boots (I only wear C&J) Im thinking more of the Chukka that maybe they will go nicer with jeans, chinos?

Wich one is nicer? I like nr 1 more, but I dont know they are so many...
All models are here: http://www.crockettandjones.com/Collections/UK/Mens

Ok what really matters here is the last.

I believe C&J makes a variety of different "chukka" style boots

Chiltern 224 last
Chukka on 200
Chepstow on 325
Brecon on 341
Tetbury on 348
Milbank on 363 - handgrade
I know how the 341 and 348 fit--what about the others? Anyone?? Bueller??

The C&J lasts for Chelsea's are the, aformentioned, 341, and the 238 ?? Any others.

Does anyone have a pic of these lasts like that Alden last pic???

I like the look of the Chelsea, but I hate CFC so it is difficult for me to think about wearing them. MIght have to call them something else.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry 'bout that. I'm just trying to learn more about shoe leather sourcing and ways to possibly verify various quality levels. Apparently what I seek is not available (technical specs or quantifiable info, etc.)

Sorry, Gdot. (I am often a jackass) I think that most of the companies use high quality leathers. The real question is how many pairs they cut from a single skin. The hide is of varying quality over the entirity of the surface. If you cut 4 pair from a hide then invariably you are getting differing levels of quality--and lowering your COS. One pair is best but most expensive.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No apologies necessary B. I'm a bit strident sometimes - and more than a little wordy.

I'm sure that the clicking must have a huge difference in how well a shoe wears, particular in terms of stretching and creasing. As if you have ever handled a hide you can easily see that the 'stretch' is very directional. And that the thickness varies as well. The way the leather is used must have a huge impact.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

meister please change your avatar. I love Monica she is the most beautiful woman in the world and that coupled with your screen name is causing me serious emotional problems. :)

FTFY :)

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads