• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jobro

Reaction score

Few pictures of my shoe collection. You guys will notice my shoes look really similar. I stick to traditional colours. I need to upgrade to other colours this year!
Enjoy!

What are the loafers second from the top (calf/suede)?

Last edited:

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The big difference u don't mention (AFAIK- and could be dated info) is that the benchgrades are made with French calf, and the Handgrades with German.  German calf is recognized as superior.

You probably are correct. Do you know in what ways the German calf is superior?

Lattanzi
09-IMG_0850.jpg

His shoes are somewhat more symphatetic than crazy Silvano.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is there such a big difference beside the open channeled sole?

Yes. I believe they are more particular about the skins. I also have a fantatical love of the closed channel sole. (I know that it is irrational)

I did not read the other responses prior to putting mine in--agree leathers are better for the handgrade. That said, tough to beat the C&J bench grade shoe. I think the 341 last creates a great workhorse business shoe.

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not much love for the Trickers in most of the Top collections i've seen. Not that they're "disliked", but I think they are really at the top of their game in the Country Shoe department... I wanna see more posted here... especially if anyone has any older pairs.

I can't help but register my agreement with my erstwhile foe--and erstwhile friend. I think Trickers get a bad rap here. For those with a standard foot Trickers do not work so well. If you have a wider foot Trickers are a great shoe. I bought a pair, they did not fit well, but they were of high quality.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no. i'm by no means an leather expert. i have a guy who consults me, when i feel the need. he told me a few things, though.
what he told me is, that you cannot generalize between italy, germany, france and austria. it depends almost on the tannery.
a little anecdote: a friend of mine, who had some shoes made at JL St. James was directed into the leather chamber by mr. lobb. one of his favorite leathers was from a small producer in austria. he didn't tell my friend the name. unfortunately, i haven't seen this pair yet.

I have spoken with a few tanners and a few shoemakers and what I have learned is the two biggest things that matter with leathers are the diet of the calf and the amount of sun shine they see during their life. Calf from mountaineous regions have softer hides do to the shade available. To me, this validates your Austrian thesis. Nothing beats a drive in those mountain passes in Austria--ok, skiing does.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same mountain passes cross over into Italy. And they are indeed among the most spectacular places on earth. Teh dolomites, they rulez! As do Montasio and Mangret.

And way up high the animals live in unfenced environments - no barbed wire equals prettier skin as well. Although perhaps the finest hides would come from calves raised for veal in those horrible stalls in which they never see the light of day. But I hope not - would really bust me to find that out.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2qippgh.jpg

ravello monk
argyle otc

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I also have a fantatical love of the closed channel sole. (I know that it is irrational)

no. the advantage of wood pegged. it's always closed, hehe. no pun intended

I did not read the other responses prior to putting mine in--agree leathers are better for the handgrade. That said, tough to beat the C&J bench grade shoe. I think the 341 last creates a great workhorse business shoe.

you know my love for chisel dizzle. this one, i like. especially in dark suede, where the contours are not so obvious.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have spoken with a few tanners and a few shoemakers and what I have learned is the two biggest things that matter with leathers are the diet of the calf and the amount of sun shine they see during their life. Calf from mountaineous regions have softer hides do to the shade available. To me, this validates your Austrian thesis. Nothing beats a drive in those mountain passes in Austria--ok, skiing does.

like a good wine.

next time you're here. please let me know.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can't help but register my agreement with my erstwhile foe--and erstwhile friend. I think Trickers get a bad rap here. For those with a standard foot Trickers do not work so well. If you have a wider foot Trickers are a great shoe. I bought a pair, they did not fit well, but they were of high quality.

certainly. it's the look. they have this clumsy vibe. especially their country range. i agree, it's hard to find a boot in this price range. independent of your destination.

Pengranger

Reaction score
Cliff Roberts Bespoke shoes - last and shoe trees by Springline

Hi all. I've recently received my Bespoke shoes from Cliff Roberts. I'm over the moon with the quality! Enjoy :D

_DSC2336sm.jpg
_DSC2332sm.jpg

_DSC2339sm.jpg
_DSC2333sm.jpg

_DSC2340sm.jpg
_DSC2337sm.jpg

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pengranger...that shoe exudes elegance. Way cool

RJMan had Tony Gaziano (while at Edward Green) build a similar green design...but yours adds the faux lacing...which IMHO, completes it

And the antiqued 3 piece shoe trees look awesome

The color of the shoe tree makes me wonder is this a navy leather or black?

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late 2011 I sold all my Aldens (six pairs of shell codovan) with the exception of one pair. These boots drove me crazy until I had them modified. I don't understand why people here like the Alden commando sole. It causes the shoe to curl and dirt and grime get it in between the rubber overlay and the leather sole--don't get it. Anyway, Nick at B. Nelson modified these for me and I think I will keep them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads