Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Burton

Burton Senior member

$200 for a welted shoe? That's a good value--you might not like the style or other aspects of the shoe but it is a good value.

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

exactly bro

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

4 to sixhundred euros in europe. different story. no offense

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

this is hard to understand for me...

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

I don't disagree and I will in time migrate my RTW shoes to bespoke as time/budget seems fit.

By the way, I've been trying to research Vass recrafting experience but there seems to be not enough information, compared to the English brands. Any thoughts/experiences?

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

IMO, shoemaking is much more than just hand welting vs. other machine welting methods. Leather sourcing, last making, and pattern making are all equally as important but seems to be lost in these discussions. Different bespoke makers do excel in different aspects and bespoke makers from same region tend to make similar choices in design.

7. sully

sully Senior member

I think handmade is used in a very loose fashion and people attach too much importance to it when applied to factory made shoes. It is often meaningless, yes some processes are done by hand but the majority of the work is machined. I have visited a couple of Northamptons shoe factories and the workers are very skilled and there is handwork (E.G. stitching on uppers for instance ) but they are not handmade to my understanding of the word . I feel handmade only has meaning when applied to bespoke work in fact to have something entirely handmade that is not bespoke seems pointless to me.
    Some bespoke makers can be more ' handmade' than others.Some will stitch soles on by machine or finish the shoes on a machine where others do the process almost entirely with handwork but this does not guarantee quality as Bengal Stripe has mentioned, poor badly made handwork does exist take a look at some forums and blogs about shoemaking and you will see examples.In the end there is usually a relationship between price and quality There are no rules for shoemaking ,each maker can and will justify his way of working but there is no standard they must meet .I have in the past had shoes from John Lobb and Foster and Son and I can speak for the quality because I wore and experienced these shoes I have Edward Green shoes and they look and feel superb ,they were relatively expensive they are gemmed and show no signs of spontanious gemming failure, to me they are worth the investment In the end I'm saying dont get hung up on words like handmade or even bespoke they can flatter to decieve sometimes.

8. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I thought I was crazy, but you guys are REALLY crazy. :^)

9. Burton

Burton Senior member

For sure. (I don't have either AE or Alden in my collection)

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Yeah - we almost had a conversation about what is the inherent value of artistry, handcraftsmenship, and the lingering human energy that exists in a work of craftsmenship which is created as a labor of love. Or even about the value to society of durable goods. Which is admitedly a pretty high minded conversation for a shoe threak. Instead it's become the usual debate over the literal item (the welt) instead.

I'm think I'm going back to: PRETTY PRETTY, ME LIKEY or UGLY UGLY, ME NO LIKEY. It seems to be the more appropriate choice of conversation for the limited venue of a forum thread.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

11. Burton

Burton Senior member

:thumbs-up:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

12. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Imagine that! Is that adult or what? Actual intelligent conversation on an Internet forum! What's the world coming to?!

And no[COLOR=FF0000] blood!![/COLOR]

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

^ I might add...just because it bears repeating...that the inseam is what we're talking about, not the welt.

And the inseam is the backbone of the shoe...it is the heart and soul of the shoe.

As such it is non-trivial.

And on another level we are not even talking about the inseam itself but but the binding principle of the shoe. Glue versus direct leather to leather connections. The mechanical/engineering foundation. The design philosophy. Ultimately, whether the maker respects the materials, the concept of what a shoe is and is supposed to do, and even the customer.

The fundamental, unseen construction techniques, starting with the inseam, provide as good or better a representation of quality...and even the worthiness of cachet status... than all the transient and superficial attributes that brand groupies fixate on.

14. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Rubber tires, like gemmed shoes, have the potential to fail and puncture, I will be switching to these. These are completely put together by hand unlike factory assembled luxury german and italian automobiles.

[​IMG]

15. Burton

Burton Senior member

Added advantage that you can crush anything in your path.