Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

+1 yes, it's not so much a matter of taste or lack of appreciation of fine construction but a lack of real alternatives, as u say, sub $1k

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I didnt originally comment in order to start a massive discussion, but i have to call bullshit on this.

First off, there are plenty of smaller makers around, admittedly without the brand cachet, who will make handmade shoes around the 1000 mark. If you are willing to look, i bet there might be a few in the states. italy i have heard has one in every town.

Even if you could only get them for upwards of 2k, the point doesnt stand for most sfers.
    How many buy just 1 pair of EGs? at more than 5 pairs of >$500 shoes, i think many could afford to make the jump. Or maybe im alone in thinking that you dont need a brogue, a semibrogue, a punchcap and a captoe all in the same leather.
    secondly, i see the institutionalised look more of a negative than a positive. kinda half the point in buying non mass produced shoes.

I think i live on the opposite side of the world, yet it's been easy to order Vass. We live in the age of the internet. im in the process of ordering some bentivegna shoes from an italian man who im sure is using google translate for every sentence.
    Finally, the type of people who have the dedication to make handmade shoes are not usually the type to scrimp on details and material. this could be because inferior materials simply cant perform the job, but also because these people have a passion for their work.

Lastly, all this is my own unfounded thoughts. i have no desire nor the requisite experience to tell anyone how to spend their own money.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

but, but they are gemmed and you can have half a dozen of AE seconds for your hard earned money instead?

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

exactly

5. Burton

Burton Senior member

DWFII,

My goal here isn't to get into a dust up with you--not challenging your credentials either. I saw your pictures and I beileve there probably have been real incidents of gemming failure. I also know there is a chance that today I can get mowed down by a knife wielding dwarf ninja, Call me cavalier, blase or crazy, but I am not going to worry about either.

Oh, and when 40 years actually becomes short term thinking, I am dying to see what long term thinking will be.

6. Burton

Burton Senior member

Yeah and that will work for some folks as well. I think AE's are well constructed and a superb value.

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

unfórtunately many... let alone, i could name a few, quasi.

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

who says that?

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

that sheds some light on some discussions of personal preferences. didn't realize that this is so important to some...

10. chogall

chogall Senior member

http://www.styleforum.net/t/45403/some-pics-of-saint-crispins-shoes/90#post_4800091

Made perfect sense to me. Similar to the argument against gemmed shoes. But what do I know.

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

another excellent post. thank you bro

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

wasn't aware of this. thanks for clarification.

14. chogall

chogall Senior member

it made sense logically, but sometimes what makes sense logically does not always turn out to be true in real life.

15. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

But the inescapable point is they don't make shoes as elegant as EG (and they're not easily accessible to the US). Nothing would induce me to buy shoes from those 'one in every town'- they just aren't the same class, sorry.