• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the list doesnt include shoes that I returned. EG is unremarkable and overpriced at best. C&J looks like C&J, JL looks like JL, G&G looks like G&G, EG just looks like a $1000 C&J. Go over to the BB thread and youll see the amount of confusion that arose when several members mistook a $300 C&J for a EG. They look too much alike for the $500-$700 upcharge. Not worth it imo. Much rather prefer G&G and JL at that price point.
EDIT - I do like EG lasts as they fit my foot really well. Should I have the opportunity to purchase the Shannon Boot on the 82, Ill jump on it

I'm interested in which EG shoes you have experience with, whether or not they were new in the box and what models you feel look like which C&J model? I'm not going into the BB thread to check but my guess is those members who mistook C&J for EGs are as equally inexperienced on this front as you.

The true test for any shoes is wearing them and how they holdup over time. You have a large collection and your shoes are less than 1 year old.

I did say he has a ways to go :)

EGs are sublime and solid. I can understand where he's coming from at this stage in his collecting as in all of the shoes I've owned and seen after EG I really had no interest in trying G&G et el. I may try Lobb but I'm not jumping out of any windows to do so.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nore, may I ask what brand/maker of shoe you propose is a better value at a similar price point to C&J benchgrade, and why?
Bear in mind that my shoes for work very rarely see a wet or even damp sidewalk, and even if I wear them for 15 years I am unlikely to suffer any unfortunate consequences from their exposed but channeled stitching and slightly lesser quality sole material.
I'm not attempting to argue with you or even to defend my choice here. I simply honestly wish to know your thoughts/concerns as well as suggestions. As I know you have more experience in this regard than I do.

See, this is subjective because a large part of a shoe's value is how they fit the individual. To illustrate I put confidence in EG because aside from the materials and finish quality, they fit me perfectly. And the trees fit the shoes perfectly. So much so that if I showed you a pair I had and wore that were purchased two years ago you'd think they were still new.

Shoes I'd put on par with or above C&J benchgrade so you can test that theory:

Grenson Rose -
Alfred Sargent Premier -
Joseph Cheaney Premier -

All of these sold for less than the price of C&Js benchgrade lines IIRC. There may be more but they either escape my memory or I don't have experience with them. BTW, I believe I have done a more comprehensive list under my former sn bigbris1 if you care to search.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

Grenson Rose -
Alfred Sargent Premier -
Joseph Cheaney Premier -

All very good shoes for their respective price point which was below C&J Benchgrade. It's curious that only the Benchgrade continues to thrive today, whilst the rest are extinct.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
I just don't get the Cleverley chisel. It just looks completely wrong - everything is dragged forward and is out of proportion, especially if the shoe is on a slender modern last.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All very good shoes for their respective price point which was below C&J Benchgrade. It's curious that only the Benchgrade continues to thrive today, whilst the rest are extinct.

You can actually still find shoes from all three. I do know that all three have attempted to revamp their lines which isn't a bad thing.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
C&J is a safe bit. I looked at the current Rose line (available in the Grenson shop in London), and they were, to my surprise, half leather lined whereas they used to be fully leather lined. Leather and finishing wasn't great and they'd cheaped out on the eyelets. It takes the piss.

If you're paying over £250 for a pair of shoes, I'd go to C&J. It's worth stumping up the extra £100 for Handgrade.

It's great shame that quality English shoes aren't more affordable.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

See, this is subjective because a large part of a shoe's value is how they fit the individual. To illustrate I put confidence in EG because aside from the materials and finish quality, they fit me perfectly. And the trees fit the shoes perfectly. So much so that if I showed you a pair I had and wore that were purchased two years ago you'd think they were still new.
Shoes I'd put on par with or above C&J benchgrade so you can test that theory:
Grenson Rose -
Alfred Sargent Premier -
Joseph Cheaney Premier -
All of these sold for less than the price of C&Js benchgrade lines IIRC. There may be more but they either escape my memory or I don't have experience with them. BTW, I believe I have done a more comprehensive list under my former sn bigbris1 if you care to search.
Hope this helps.

Nore,

Thank you for your response. I have no experience with Cheany Premier nor Grenson Rose but will take a look. I would agree with you that Alfred Sargent Premier was indeed quite a good value based on my single pair, but alas they are no longer in production and selection is limited to the remaining stock. I do have a pair of AS Exclusives on order, although they really should be compared with C&J Handgrade.

Thanks again!

PS - I will agree with you that EGs ooze quality from every pore (based only upon handling them in the store). I'm not sure most of their last shapes/styling is largely my cuppa tea at the moment. But I can completely understand your love of them.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the pesky job thing is going to keep me from creating shoe Appreciation this afternoon as planned. Here's the new group of C&J benchgrades. Lowly as they are in the shoe totem pole I still find them to be worthwhile new additions for daily wear.

Better Appreciation will be forthcoming at some point.

G.

Last edited:

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new in my shoe journey as well, and have to say, with NAMOR, that I too don't get EG shoes at their price point.

My experience of them has been largely limited to a visit I paid Leather Soul in Hawaii and saw a bunch of them which I handled (but did not try on). Neither the leather nor the design appealed to me; neither seemed to suggest that the price was worth it. I even saw the famed shell cordovan EG (Sandringham in Cognac); just did not see how they were better than the C&J Marlow.

Lobbs I get and own. EG - maybe the details are too subtle for me at this point in my evolution, and I know I don't know a lot.. Although I doubt I will ever get a feel of them, unless again like NAMOR I get my hands on a Shannon.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
G, those loafers are the sechs. And don't let anyone hate on C&J. Style wise there are more eye catching out there, sure, but I have never worn a more consistently comfortable maker. :slayer:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2ex1u6f.jpg

ravello ptb
argyle otc

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately the pesky job thing is going to keep me from creating shoe Appreciation this afternoon as planned. Here's the new group of C&J benchgrades. Lowly as they are in the shoe totem pole I still find them to be worthwhile new additions for daily wear.

G.

Glad to see you're sticking with the browns! :)

I like the horizontal lines of the carpet tiles with the loafers and the vertical lines w/the lace-ups. :happy:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm new in my shoe journey as well, and have to say, with NAMOR, that I too don't get EG shoes at their price point.
My experience of them has been largely limited to a visit I paid Leather Soul in Hawaii and saw a bunch of them which I handled (but did not try on). Neither the leather nor the design appealed to me; neither seemed to suggest that the price was worth it. I even saw the famed shell cordovan EG (Sandringham in Cognac); just did not see how they were better than the C&J Marlow.
Lobbs I get and own. EG - maybe the details are too subtle for me at this point in my evolution, and I know I don't know a lot.. Although I doubt I will ever get a feel of them, unless again like NAMOR I get my hands on a Shannon.

Based on what you just wrote and the shoes for sale in your sig I'd say you qualify for a, go sit down, son. :)

EG offers high quality, classic styles in attractive lasts that are ageless. I challenge any one of you to mention another maker in the same league that offers the same.

And before you embarrass yourselves, Lobb styles are hit and miss even if the quality is there.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

G.

Nice haul. Looks like you got 2 Mertons, a Drummond and a Connaught. Come back in two years and show me those same shoes and then we can have a real discussion :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads