1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Burton

Burton Senior member

Last night I was shining up a few of the brown members of the family. Not my most unique grouping but good work horses each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would be dangerous if I could work a camera.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Sparkly! Me Likey!

I'm, of course, particularly fond of the Drummonds.

I presume you'll give us a detailed inventory?

3. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Is that a Chelsea in burnished chestnut on the 202 or the 82? hard to tell from the angle. love that shoe, n nice collection BTW

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello chukkas
    argyles otc

5. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

I'll probably go with Saphir neutral wax. It has worked well with another pai of Lobbs I have in Parisian brown museum.

6. Burton

Burton Senior member

Gdot and Pliny,

Thanks for the comments. This was mostly C&J night: Drummonds, Selbourne and Finsbury. Also in attendance my controversial EG Sandringhams and a pair of Church's Balmorals. We under value the Church's here. Every year, much to my wife's dismay, I purchase about 10 - 15 pair of shoes. I generally sell about half that many each year on eBay--the balance works in my favor. :) This group represents stuff I wear regularly. I love the look of the Selbourne.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

three o'clock is my favourite. have something like at nine.

all of them look nice.

8. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

I'm having a hard time to pick out one of these shoes. Which one do you think is nicer?

G&G - "Oxford" Vintage Oak (F-Wide Fit)
    [​IMG]

Or C&J - Double monk, lowndes, last E

[​IMG]

9. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I would save money and get the C&J because both look just as nice except the mini details, however if you like fiddleback waist then only G&G

10. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

What do you mean by fiddleback waist? (sorry for my english)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  11. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

mcarthur, if only your camera would do justice to your collection... :/

12. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

The G&G you selected has all the bells and whistle for a semi bespoke shoes, excellent finish, channel sole and fiddleback waist which looks like this
    http://the-shoe-snob.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/appreciation-of-shoes-details.html

The C&J has normal goodyear construction, good finish (below handgrade and G&G), still a pair of excellent shoes

I guess you don't know shoes much, hence you should try the C&J double monk first and later for the better ones, you don't want to start from one of the best, you will miss out a lot of fun in the learning stages.

For the double monk, search the Cheaney imperial collection Double Monk, they are also very nice and in between the two choice you have, price wise

13. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

there's no contest as far as I'm concerned Sir F- if u take cost-benefit out of the equation the G&G is a superior shoe in construction and aesthetics, and it's much more versatile.

The Lowndes is a perfect shoe for going sockless in short trousers n posing next to a bicycle at Pitti.

14. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Now I understand, thanks. Well I know a little bit I have 4 pairs of C&J now. But I dont own a pair of double monks (that's why I was thinking about them) But everybody is talking about G&G and how wonderful their shoes are (my friends) so I want to try that out and see what i'm missing.

Was thinking the same as you, had my plans on G&G but was unsure. As I wrote I own many C&J and want to see what G&G has to offer me :)

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

a young dude should look into something fancier like septieme largeur, corthay or jlp, imo

16. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Corthay is definitely a good choice, I had one and they are very pretty, just very narrow and takes so much time to break in

Not so sure about septieme largeur or jlp, never seen any members post those shoes

17. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

So what do you think? G&G no good?

18. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Just very British and traditional in their last

Brands like Corthay has a very interesting last, excellent antiquing, soft and crease resistance like leather

but they are sold around £900 a pair in Harrods, G&G about £600 for a pair of shoes

19. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

G&G?

septieme has it's own thread and there must be thousands of jlp pictures floating aroud. i didn't say bespoke.

20. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Okay, but i'll think I will go with the G&G. And I agree they are very expensive! Could get 2 pair of C&J, but hey that's life!