1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

This is never a good solution. Yes, an insert will take up room inside the shoe, effectively making it seem smaller.

But the problem is that this takes place in all dimensions...including the heel to ball length.

Its the old "orange peel effect".

It always amazes me the lengths to which even reputable companies will go to avoid having to deal with a problem. That said, I suppose the burden of fit properly rests with the customer when dealing with RTW goods.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

DWFII, other than selling the shoes, what do you consider a happy medium?

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

where did you read about selling them?

4. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Padon the misunderstanding. I wasn't particularly referring to anyone, in this thread, stating that they be sold. But that is SF group-think. If it doesn't fit right, get your size.

5. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

From my point of view--as a shoemaker and a student of the foot--there is no happy medium. Placing an insert in the shoe shortens the heel to ball distance/relationship. And that's one of the most critical elements of a fit. And one that can affect foot health over a period of time...sometimes irreversibly.

6. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Thanks

7. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Agree with DW.....always best to be patient and get a proper fitting.

If the shoes are unworn, and you want to switch to the 10UK, let me know. Have some A/S coming asap, so can add a pair in and do an exchange for you here.

Not a problem.....since I'm assuming you bought these form oversea's?

Ron

8. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Very true. This is a major drawback of MTO IMO. Shoes made on the exact same sized last often fit my foot differently depending on their design, or the material that they are made of. It's impossible to know exactly how they will fit prior to purchasing since they are MTO, and it's not as if you can return them. This is one of the reasons why I've been switching to bespoke. The other is the difference in size between my two feet making adjustments such as using inserts a necessity in some cases.

Ironically, my first 2 pair of bespoke shoes made by a very reputable London maker, fit me very poorly, and the finishing on one was far worse than EG.....

9. jerrybrowne

Heh. I'll have to try this masking tape trick. Thanks!

10. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

jerrybrowne -- just curious... Have you tried tongue pads? Or would they be too minimal an attempt to get the snugger/better fit you're looking for?

11. jerrybrowne

I have tongue pads in a few pair. They do work, but I've found the insoles to work better- the ones that EG sent were "lasted" and fit the footbed perfectly.....

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

ah ok

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

it's pretty amaturish to do so, imo.

14. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

Did this maker fix these 2 pairs...and were the fixed shoes of a better fit and finish?

Have you made subsequent orders with this maker...or did you move on to another company?

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

would like to know either. good questions, michael.

16. jerrybrowne

Not sure yet if they will be fixed by the maker. They visit my location only twice a year, and haven't seen the shoes on my foot as they were shipped to me. I mentioned it, but they haven't offered to fix them. I'm going to wear them to the next visit and see what happens.

Anyhow, as with any bespoke product, I sort of assume the first pair or two will have some fit issues. I was surprised by the problems with finishing though. The issues were very obvious.

I'm trying another company when they visit next month and also having another pair made by this maker.....

17. Burton

Burton Senior member

Serious question: Why do you say that? Inexpensive, if somewhat inelegant, solution for a shoe that may have slightly less than perfect fit, no? I have one pair of shoes which is very long lasted and use them. they seem to work well. Interested in your thoughts, Gerd. Is there another way?

18. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

well, i have never met a maker/cobbler who recommended it to me and i met some... you know, i'm thrifting shoes for fun or receive them from fellows who want to get rid of them. then i have to make them fit. will pm you a little later.

all depends on the possibility to work with the person who is in charge to fix them. long distance and remote operations are a difficult thing, imo.

look at jerry's debacle. avoid to order two pairs at once is one rule. not having them shipped to you but meet the maker in person is another, imo. each to his own..

19. jerrybrowne

Debacle is a good word for it, and I totally agree, although the two pairs were not ordered at the same time. Just bad timing.

Anyhow, I would vastly prefer to try on the finished pair in front of the maker, but the twice yearly visits makes this a non-viable option. I'm not patient enough to wait!

20. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Thanks Ron, great offer. Unfortunately, these have gotten some good wear.