1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

2. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Senior member

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 chukkas
    argyles otc

5. Burton

Burton Senior member

6. Burton

Burton Senior member

I think Weston does this shoe better than anyone. I have a spot in my closet waiting for a pair.

7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Man, there's no reason to insult Ishi, and what's more, he knows much, much more than you do and you just look like an idiot.

I don't know whether you're offended that he didn't take your misguided advice to buy shoes that wouldn't suit him, but please stop commenting on things as if you are the sole judge of taste and quality.

+1. It's not like anyone's actually wearing these to dig up fossils.

Although taste is personal, saying that they shouldn't be aesthetically pleasing on styleforum just doesn't make sense.

8. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

Dover on the 606 In Dark Oak,
    Ever since Selling my Ecton's, a few years ago - I was wanting a replacement.
    I viewed the Green Suede range at the Jermyn St store - good looking Shoes if you have the 'Balls'...
    Excuse the poor res IPhone pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

...after all this years, you did this? my condolences.

10. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Senior member

Not quite what was hoping for as split toes are not my fave but glad you found and like.

Enjoy

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.co.uk/

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

im diggin' the blog but your pics grossly under appreciate the subjects.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  12. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Aint nothing wrong wid dis pic- score

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

im not a critic of the Dover but im no fan either. might be the most polarizing shoe in all of SF. more so for some than others..

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  14. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Senior member

Am thinking you mean how thy tans and quality of pic. Absolutely agree but only things I have it's me when about London is my iPad or iPhone. Don't have luxury of taking my D60 as am working when in city.

Poses, well I'm still a novice here so am researching photos that look good here and on Internet but appreciate any suggestions you think will help.

Appreciate the post though, NAMOR.

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.co.uk/

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

they are a staple in every man's wardrobe, imo

16. NORE

NORE Senior member

Just because you collect vintage shoes doesn't make you an expert, especially with shoes made yesterday. I am by no means a shoe expert, but all shoe guys know that a closed channel is more desireable than it's counterpart. In the case of, say, C&J bench vs handgrades the resole upcharge on a closed channel shoe is only 10 pounds. Does C&J use the more craft intensive method (whereas they cut the channel at a deeper angle*)? I don't know. But for a shoe guy, it is definitely a sign of attention to detail as you have confirmed in the quote below (bolded portion).

I like how Uncle Mac comes in every now and again to break up these arguments, don't you? :)

:nodding:

17. NORE

NORE Senior member

DW, in your professional opinion, do shoemakers that employ Goodyear welting use open channeled (or stitched aloft) methods to cut costs in lieu of closed channeled welting, no matter the angle of the cut? I have had shoes form several makers with closed channel welting that either wore thru to the stitch quickly or not, and have had shoes stitched aloft and could not figure why anyone would leave the stitched exposed given a choice, even if the stitching method meant that if one stitch broke or wore thru, it wouldn't cause a massive unraveling event. Why do they do that (stitch aloft)?

18. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

Unfortunately, each of the the Shoes that I had interest in (Ashby, Halifax and Plymouth) were non-stocked items and Phuked if I'm waiting for 5 months.
    In addition, none of the Suede offerings were to my liking ...Oyster, Mushroom and the appropriate for yesterday, St Patricks Day Green.

Anyways - each to their own - One mans meat is another mans poison - which is why I cannot get hard for Shell, Darltons, Marlows etc...

19. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

I collect ALL kinds of quality shoes, from those made 80+ years ago to those made last week.

Not necessarily. With places like SF applauding the use of the closed channel (and 'lickable') sole, and equating it's use with proof a shoe is higher quality, a savvy marketing research department would inform the manufacturing dept that it should be included in the final product.. regardless of quality. The $200 shoe with closed channel stitch is proof of this. Some see the sole and assume, "this MUST be a high quality shoe, with attention to detail". One who is knowledgeable of the formula: price - (costs of materials + manufacturing + packaging + marketing) = final net profit, would have to question whether this is truly the case.

20. cliche

cliche Senior member

What is the best shoe model to get the burnish look on, only on the front.