Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Back for more hate
    I'll buck the trend and say that those are potentially the worst Vass I've seen yet. The combination of the leather used and the style makes it look, for lack of a better word, cheap.

2. forex

forex Senior member

I'll buck the trend and say that those are potentially the worst Vass I've seen yet.

The combination of the leather used and the style makes it look, for lack of a better word, cheap.

+1,I dislike them a lot. Probably one of the few pairs of Vass I don't like.

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

^^+1 - I really dig navy shoes. What are the details on the JLs?

I don't have many details. I got them at from a Neiman Marcus sale last summer for around $450.
    The model name printed on the box is Darby.

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I like the Lobbs in particular and the Vass as well. I don't think there's anything wrong with the quality of the leather and the colour is just that...colour. It has more to do with personal preferences...and other wholly subjective perceptions....than whether it's intrinsically cheap--it's not, in my mind.

I look more at construction values...which are, I suspect, more indicative of quality than colour. For instance, I think that toe perfs that go all the way down to the welt line look very bad. That kind of thing always looks to me as if the patterns were actually made for a larger shoe but the factory decided that putting a size 11 vamp on a size 9 last was "close enough for government work." The Lobbs look dern near perfect in that regard and the Vass are near-as-nevermind.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I'll buck the trend and say that those are potentially the worst Vass I've seen yet.

The combination of the leather used and the style makes it look, for lack of a better word, cheap.

That was my thought when I commented earlier.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I like the Lobbs in particular and the Vass as well. I don't think there's anything wrong with the quality of the leather and the colour is just that...colour. It has more to do with personal preferences...and other wholly subjective perceptions....than whether it's intrinsically cheap--it's not, in my mind.

I look more at construction values...which are, I suspect, more indicative of quality than colour. For instance, I think that toe perfs that go all the way down to the welt line look very bad. That kind of thing always looks to me as if the patterns were actually made for a larger shoe but the factory decided that putting a size 11 vamp on a size 9 last was "close enough for government work." The Lobbs look dern near perfect in that regard and the Vass are near-as-nevermind.

DF- Trini was referring to the split-toes Phats posted a while back, not the blue monks.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I own this exact Vass blue monk and would never want to have a silver buckle on it. I wear it these shoes with greys, beige and brown colors and with jeans so to me the brass buckle is perfect. I don't know what people here think they would pair them with and why they think silver would be better.

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]

9. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

DF- Trini was referring to the split-toes Phats posted a while back, not the blue monks.
    Oh! Sorry, Trini...all. I was expressing my PPOV but I did think it was about the navy shoes.

10. Lear

Lear Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

That was my thought when I commented earlier.

i cannot really understand this hate. it's a unconspicious colour and a versatile style. horses for courses, i guess...

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I don't know what people here think they would pair them with and why they think silver would be better.

this

14. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I own this exact Vass blue monk and would never want to have a silver buckle on it. I wear it these shoes with greys, beige and brown colors and with jeans so to me the brass buckle is perfect. I don't know what people here think they would pair them with and why they think silver would be better.

Maybe it's just to match the rest of their hardware (silver belt buckles, jewelry, etc.)?

15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I'd say rustic rather than cheap. I like them from some angles but not others.