• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Tell me more - you are referring to changing the color via shoe cream?

Changing the color of shoes via just shoe cream isn't a good idea. They would change using a darker cream over time, but a long time. If you try and do it all at once you will end up with a gunky haze that will look like garbage and there is no sure way to determine the outcome. Also those look to have a grain of some sort. Most grained shoes are stamped and at times corrected as well. If they are corrected in some way there will be no way to change the color of the shoes, the pores aren't there to accept much pigment. I say if you can exchange for a darker color do it. Those look like vinyl seats in a cheap 70's automobile.

wogmail

Reaction score

Changing the color of shoes via just shoe cream isn't a good idea. They would change using a darker cream over time, but a long time. If you try and do it all at once you will end up with a gunky haze that will look like garbage and there is no sure way to determine the outcome. Also those look to have a grain of some sort. Most grained shoes are stamped and at times corrected as well. If they are corrected in some way there will be no way to change the color of the shoes, the pores aren't there to accept much pigment. I say if you can exchange for a darker color do it. Those look like vinyl seats in a cheap 70's automobile.

The nail patterns on the soles are indicative of their handmade line (from looking at the HOF thread), would SM handmade use corrected leather?

If it helps, this is the shoe that I purchased:
http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-42900-sutor-mantellassi-caramel-brown-shoes-size-10-us-9-uk.aspx

Thanks for all the info

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if you like em - keep em. Personally I would really struggle thinking of something to pair them up with. Also the colour makes the leather look pretty cheap and nasty.

Please see the picture of a different shoe above, is the color equally bad on these (same color)?

Edit: Actually, while they are both labelled 'caramel brown' they do seem to be of different colors.

The above color looks to have some "Sutor Antiquing" which does add a different dimension. For some reason, the first pair's leather looks very strange to me. Looks coated or something. It happens to be the same color of my late Grandfather's favorite pair of house slippers, so...

But, as has been posted above, who gives a f**k what WE think? if you like them, rock them!

wogmail

Reaction score

The above color looks to have some "Sutor Antiquing" which does add a different dimension. For some reason, the first pair's leather looks very strange to me. Looks coated or something. It happens to be the same color of my late Grandfather's favorite pair of house slippers, so...
But, as has been posted above, who gives a f**k what WE think? if you like them, rock them!

While I tend to agree, I do value the opinion of SF (especially when it is a large number of the same opinion!).

Last question, I asked patrickBOOTH above, but will ask you as well:

The nail patterns on the soles are indicative of their handmade line (from looking at the HOF thread), would SM handmade use corrected leather?

Here is the link to the shoe: http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-42900-sutor-mantellassi-caramel-brown-shoes-size-10-us-9-uk.aspx

Thanks

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
fmq6wo.jpg

Crockett Jones "Purple Collection" Drummond, 348 last, navy calf

Last edited:

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sold in Sweden here. Does not seem to be different than the normal collection other than the purple lining.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fmq6wo.jpg
Crockett Jones "Purple Collection" Drummond, 348 last, navy calf

nice, Moo. Knowing Moo, he'll wear 'em 3x, get bored & move on to the next pair.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

All McArthur's posts with the shell shoes got me wantin' some...
IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

good looking wing tip, enjoy wearing, all will be pleased with your decision

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2rglvub.jpg

whiskey wing tips
argyles otc

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads