• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a Lobbathon.
1zqvj0l.jpg

2qnw2nt.jpg

Top Row: (Left) Philip II Brown Museum Calf (Right) Lanston Pewter Museum Calf
Bottom Row: (Left) Oakley Treacle Lord Calf (Right) Treacle Pewter Museum Calf

Love the Treacle Pewter Museum Calf...I did a google search and cannot find them anywhere. Where did you buy them? Thanks

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
deocpk.jpg

color 8 monks
argyles otc

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of my Moras, in navy.

I received some great advice from the Allen Edmonds SA regarding reducing vamp creasing. He suggested i apply conditioner to the vamp a couple of time before i wear them, and sure enough it helped. I'm a happy man. :nodding:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maiden voyage of my Moras, in navy.

I received some great advice from the Allen Edmonds SA regarding reducing vamp creasing. He suggested i apply conditioner to the vamp a couple of time before i wear them, and sure enough it helped. I'm a happy man. :nodding:

Definitely condition new shoes before wearing - unless they are bespoke or MTO they have likely been on the shelf for quite a while when you receive them

I condition and lightly buff. Wait 24 hours and do again. Then put on one light coat of polish before wearing any new shoe.

Creases will come eventually, of course......but they tend to be softer in a well conditioned shoe.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
aabrlw.jpg

color 8 ptb
argyles otc

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Winter - chukk it to me!
Mantellassi for Borrelli tobacco sude chukkas with crepe soles, rounded toes and slim welts.
IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

Love the color, the last and the suede. However, I just can't quite sell myself on a crepe sole. Not like I would ever wear chukkas with a suit but I do wear the majority of my shoes with jeans and a SC. Even for that crepe seems too casual.

I am, however, in the market for a new pair of chukkas and am seriously weighing the option of leather sole vs. crepe. Right now I see crepe as a deal-breaker but not sure if I am correct in my thinking. Am I just being stuffy? Never had crepe soled shoes.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love the color, the last and the suede. However, I just can't quite sell myself on a crepe sole. Not like I would ever wear chukkas with a suit but I do wear the majority of my shoes with jeans and a SC. Even for that crepe seems too casual.
I am, however, in the market for a new pair of chukkas and am seriously weighing the option of leather sole vs. crepe. Right now I see crepe as a deal-breaker but not sure if I am correct in my thinking. Am I just being stuffy? Never had crepe soled shoes.

See, I feel the same way, I like the last of these chukkas but not the sole. I like the sole of the AE suede chukkas, but don't really like the last. Maybe I'm just not ment to have chukkas...

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally prefer vibram - just seems more substantial to me.

I even have a pair of Bally loafers in which the outer surface of the sole and heal is scored to look like stacked leather but is actually vibram. They are so comfy!

SNEEEEKKKKKKKKYYYYYYYYY!

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I personally prefer vibram - just seems more substantial to me.
I even have a pair of Bally loafers in which the outer surface of the sole and heal is scored to look like stacked leather but is actually vibram. They are so comfy!
SNEEEEKKKKKKKKYYYYYYYYY!

Yeah I might even be able to do Vibram. Or Danite. I'm just not sold on crepe. It might be the fact that I tend to wear my heels out rather quickly and don't want my boots looking like shape-ups after a few months of regular wear. But mostly I still just feel it's too casual. Even Vibram/Danite can be placed on stacked leather to make it look more formal/classic (think Chiltern).

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bourbonbasted, you should definitely give crepes a try. We had a talk about 'the best' sole material for winter boots on my forum, and the consensus was that crepe is the least slippery, even on black ice, and it's also very hard-wearing. Ridgeway came second, but it has a much heavier look. My pictures may not give an accurate idea, as the soles on this pair are very slim, only 0.7 cm. When combined with a trim welt, they look as dressy as my dainite pairs. The only negative thing I can come up with regards to crepe is that they turn from beige to black quickly, but soles aren't really a thing most people take a look at.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

bourbonbasted, you should definitely give crepes a try. We had a talk about 'the best' sole material for winter boots on my forum, and the consensus was that crepe is the least slippery, even on black ice, and it's also very hard-wearing. Ridgeway came second, but it has a much heavier look. My pictures may not give an accurate idea, as the soles on this pair are very slim, only 0.7 cm. When combined with a trim welt, they look as dressy as my dainite pairs. The only negative thing I can come up with regards to crepe is that they turn from beige to black quickly, but soles aren't really a thing most people take a look at.

This might have been my reason for disliking them, albeit a subconscious reason. I'll have to keep an eye out for thin crepe soled chukkas and see if that sways me one way or the other. TBH I have always been a loafer guy for casual shoes and this will be my first pair of non-Bean boots. I think the issue might be that I always envision Clark's Desert Boots when I think of crepe soles. Chalk it up to a lack of experience.

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bourbonbasted, you should definitely give crepes a try. We had a talk about 'the best' sole material for winter boots on my forum, and the consensus was that crepe is the least slippery, even on black ice, and it's also very hard-wearing.

Amen

glenjay

Reaction score

I was in the 101st Airborne back in the late 70's and we had the option of wearing thick soled jump boots (about the thickness of a triple sole). Because of the additional weight (part of the intention of the thick sole) some guys bought non military issue jump boots (that looked like they met regulations) with crepe soles, for day to day wear.

I have been told, however, that the crepe rubber would dissolve (to some degree) when it came in contact with hydraulic fluid. Not so great for the tach heads in the motorpool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads