Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Hmmm - where should I post my new shell non-Alden, non-bal boots, I wonder?

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

New thread! Kick it off (just do a search first to be sure :lol:)!

3. swiego

swiego Senior member

I got my first Allen Edmonds, the Kiowa from the "Rough" collection. (I have shell Cambridges on order.)

Experience is mixed. They are very comfortable. Although I realize it's not everyone's taste, I more or less like the look. They seem solidly constructed.

However, there are numerous finishing issues. There appears to be some folded leather on the inside of one, that's causing the leather to wrinkle. (See pic.) Also, some of the perforations in the brogue patterns aren't punched out and one of the shoes has what look like tiny pieces of glue drops on the uppers. I'm a bit torn. My 1990s before-I-knew-better Kenneth Cole shoes didn't have any of these issues. On the other hand it is a "Rough" shoe so maybe these are simply... character lines.

Am I making mountains out of molehills, or are these serious enough lapses at this price point?

I'd pointed out the folded leather weirdness and the SA said she thought it was just how the shoe was shipped and it would go away but now I know better. She did give me a 5% discount and free shoe trees, and I took it, but I think for shoes with triple-digit price tags (even low triple-digit price tags) I should expect better finishing--what I received is my definition of "factory seconds." So I feel I should take them back and ask for another (sadly 4-6 week wait) that hopefully is more carefully finished. Overall, not the best experience so far, but I would love to hear others' thoughts on whether you'd keep or return based on these sorts of minor niggles in finish. I've never returned a shoe so far, and frankly speaking, thanks to this forum I'd never really examined the quality of construction to the degree I am doing so now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

4. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I did but turned up nothing. Not to appear critical, but the new format here doesn't work as well for me as the old one.

5. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

just post them here. this thread gets action & viewers. I'd guess a "non-bal" but "yes shell" thread would die out pretty quickly.

6. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I suspect you're right.

[​IMG]

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think that is what you get at that price point. Yet, if not happy, take them back and see if they can do better. What do you have to lose?

8. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

I dont know myself much, saw these on ebay and bought as i was looking for a reasonably priced croc loafer in this shade. I did a quick research before buying, Lidfort is generally known for its strongly built shoes, but this is very soft, smooth and light which i like. Every mm of these scream of hand work, however, I am not impressed with the toes... look how do they appear to be glued which I think is a blasphemy to croc leather at any price point. Overall I would definitely put them below Gravati.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These are nice and I am very happy to get these (however they don't smell as nice as brand new Gravati! :) Sorry i could not understand what is meant by "3different?"

I think I bought these from the person you are referring to, and you are probably right, he told me this was the first time he reduced prices on these in a year. The skin is butter soft indeed

9. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Stanley Korshak

10. swiego

swiego Senior member

Interesting, I asked some local people as well and noticed something interesting. The ones who buy more expensive shoes basically said, as you did, that I should expect such things at this price point. The ones who buy less expensive shoes said I should expect better finishing when it comes to details. Someone once told me that contrary to popular belief those with greater means have lower expectations of value, since they are more likely to dismiss a problem as due to insufficient investment on their part as opposed to insufficient quality/care on the part of the manufacturer, but I'd never seen the principle in action.

In any case, I decided to return them and ask for another pair. It will be a ~ 4-5 week wait. However the SA at the store has been a delight to work with so far, and I'm looking forward to my cordovan shoes in a week or two!

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

you can keep the shoe trees?

12. swiego

swiego Senior member

She said I could but I gave them to her anyway. I already have a bunch of the woodlore Epic trees, which I like better due to the wider heel, and I'm not looking to milk the store for every dollar; I just want a well-finished pair of shoes.

13. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

EXCELLENT choice. Many a pair of fine shoes are damaged (over time) by using the "narrow heel" trees.

14. Braughn

Braughn Member

These are beautiful. Love to see more pics from other angles.
    Braughn

15. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

There is much larger boot thread, search for ankle boot p0rn or half boot p0rn?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011