Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. theyare

theyare Senior member

Somewhat bittersweet. Starting a new job that is more casual and doesn't require suits every day. I tend to go towards the blucher/monk/loafer direction for the odd jackets/trousers combos.
    So a lot of the oxfords are going into the back of the closet longer term for infrequent use only.

[​IMG]

2. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Some EG Damage:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Green from Green

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Happy to contribute. Here's my AS Handgrade pair: model Keats in Horween whisky shell cordovan, last 19, leather soles and dark purple lining along with vanity sole nails.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Those are stunning, but I immediately focused on the stretched toe cap, which resulted in the asymmetrical medallions at the front of the toe.

5. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

+1. Also, what's with the use of rear seam on a shoe designed to have a heel counter? Can't be much shell savings to be had there.

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

+2. I don't know if that stretching is really acceptable at that 'level.' Regardless, those have to be some of the most gorgeous shoes I have ever seen. I would wear them unbothered, personally. Wear them in the best of health.

7. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

+1 to both. there should have been no medallion and no rear seam.

9. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Yes, a cross-post from that AS thread. I thought this pair would spark some conversation. The perfectionist in me doesn't view that over-stretched medallion with ease, but when worn it won't be visible. Unless I shove a foot up someone's face.

Oh, might you previous posters be referring to the dog-ear seam? I had specifically written down not to use it, but they are there and won't be disappearing. Again, when worn they'll be covered by slacks so no great harm done.

10. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Omg those green monks. Great.

11. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Great, lovely colours. Really nice.

12. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

If I might offer a comment...strictly personal opinion...without linking it to any specific brand by name:

When the toe medallion gets too close to the inseam/welt it makes the shoe look clumsy, unrefined, and as if the maker hadn't really been paying attention.

Often times the whole medallion can be moved back--towards the gimped edge. Too much of a gap between the broguing and the medallion looks careless and disjointed. It's empty space and not particularly interesting.

Toe caps aren't really stretched all that much. If they are stretched too much holes become ovals rather than circles. So if the toe medallion is too far forward, it is likely more a matter of poor patterning than the leather or the the way the shoes were lasted.

There seems to be a whole school of disciples in Eastern Europe and the US who seem to regard crude work as, if not acceptable for the sake of the bold statement, at least acceptable because to refine the work takes so much more effort.

Subtlety is the key to style, refinement, and elegance.

IMO.

13. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

loving those dover monk things!!

14. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Love the shoes but i dont know, if having paid Handgrade money, i could live with it. The perfectionist in me wouldnt allow it. Must be too anal retentive.

15. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

Ville, my friend, 2 excellent posts on the same page, as I expected from you. Great color for shell. I want pics again in 5-10 years to see how they've aged!

Malford, I've stated in the past, and I'll repeat it again, I like the Dover. I'm not generally an EG fan, since many of their styles are quite "vanilla" in my opinion (G&G's recent 'pushing of the envelope' in terms of styles and materials, would get EG attention I hope). The Dover is a well-done Norwegian.