• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GREAT run of shoes posted lately. I mean, how much more diverse can we get than St. Crispins vs. EG, then AE, Sea Turtle Monks, Ron Rider Shell, & Santoni Dub Monks to top it all off!

Excellent postings by all. Keep it going!!!

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a sharp contrast to the "elegance of lasts" debate between St. Crispins & EG.

Just the opposite, in the late 1940's and early 1950's many US makers were in strong competition to make the Biggest, Baddest Muthah of a shoe they could. From those battles, the Florsheim Imperial Gunboat emerged as the most timeless of the group & is still quite popular today.

My goal has been to find the Biggest & Baddest of the group, and here's the clear winner so far.

Boyd's of Saint Louis (now long gone) from the Threadneedle collection (maker unknown). Circa approx. 1951 (based on various 1940's & 1950's shoe ads I've researched to find similar styles.

These are the heaviest shoes I've ever worn, weighing a tad over 3 3/4 pounds (at a size 8 1/2, that's a lot).

The insane Triple Soles measure nearly 5/8 of an inch thick (compared to the Vintage Florsheim Gunboat which comes in at 4/8).

Now-a-days, you only see top sole edges like that in Norvegese stitched shoes. Beautiful in their Brutality, I think.

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ishi, those are just...mean. I find this mix of balmoral and gunboat an interesting find. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, friend. Glad you like them. The more I look at US Vintage shoes, the more I see how they heavily influenced modern makers, especially the Italians. There was a run in US shoes where the ultra wide topsole was all the rage. I can't help but to believe that styling led the Italians to take it a step further & "decorate" that topsole edge with a Norvegese Stitch. The Norvegese IS functional, and is said to exceed Goodyear's stitch in terms of waterproofing. However, I think the Italians simply decided it was a great spot to use as a "canvas" to showcase their skills.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here's a sharp contrast to the "elegance of lasts" debate between St. Crispins & EG.

Just the opposite, in the late 1940's and early 1950's many US makers were in strong competition to make the Biggest, Baddest Muthah of a shoe they could. From those battles, the Florsheim Imperial Gunboat emerged as the most timeless of the group & is still quite popular today.

My goal has been to find the Biggest & Baddest of the group, and here's the clear winner so far.

Boyd's of Saint Louis (now long gone) from the Threadneedle collection (maker unknown). Circa approx. 1951 (based on various 1940's & 1950's shoe ads I've researched to find similar styles.

These are the heaviest shoes I've ever worn, weighing a tad over 3 3/4 pounds (at a size 8 1/2, that's a lot).

The insane Triple Soles measure nearly 5/8 of an inch thick (compared to the Vintage Florsheim Gunboat which comes in at 4/8).

Now-a-days, you only see top sole edges like that in Norvegese stitched shoes. Beautiful in their Brutality, I think.

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

That's a very cool shoe. Thanks for sharing these pics.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You must have misunderstood me. I was trying to say my preference it's the rounded toe than the chiselled toe.

not at all. just never seen this and not in the showroom, where almost all lasts were on display. if i may say, looks like some bestetti posted recently to me.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMG_3944.jpg

Interesting how the flying side stitching of the US wingtip is utilized with a brogued captoe. The stitching overall is complex in the 50s style and well finished and the shoe is in magnificent repair.

Last edited:

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMG_3944.jpg

Interesting how the flying side stitching of the US wingtip is utilized with a brogued captoe. The stitching overall is complex in the 50s style and well finished and the shoe is in magnificent repair.

Meister, my friend, you could drop a freaking nuclear bomb on these & I doubt they'd even get scratched.

I KNOW it's comparing "apples to oranges", but vintage leather is the reason why I'm so SHOCKED by modern shoes by TOP MAKERS that crack! I've got a collection of shoes from 50 to nearly 90 years old, and I VERY RARELY run into a crack. I doubt they used "Saphir Renoateur", yet the leather lasts a lifetime. I'm confused by the apologists.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Up next: Rider MTO oxfords in Horween's rare mahogany shell cordovan, blake/rapid structure, swansneck detail, dainite soles and a storm welt. The shine and colour on these is otherworldly (notice how the shade changes with less sunlight). The last picture has me giving a wave to SF members, especially srivats.

[
Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords02.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords03.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords04.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords05.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords06.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords07.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords08.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords09.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords10.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords11.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords12.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords13.jpg

Rider_boot_MTO_oxfords14.jpg

Sorry if i'm being ignorant, but is it actually possible to do blake/rapid construction with a storm welt? Does that mean that the midsole has a lip running all the way around it? sounds really difficult to make.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Those shoes were definitely made to last. Good quality, hardwearing leather.

I've got a pair of vintage Tecnic boots and I have to say the zug grain leather is the best I've seen - nicer than Tricker's or Sargent. The leather is Martin leather - the factory (located in Scotland) closed down in the early 1980s.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The bal gunboats would look great with a flannel or tweed suit.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMG_3983.jpg

That is some kind of sole :nodding:

I think you might be able to walk to the ends of the earth in those things and not need a resole. You would probably also develop sick-looking calf muscles. . .

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

IMG_3944.jpg

I'm still mesmerized by these. It's such a chunky, masculine, and eccentric shoe but I'd love to own a pair.

meister, what do you mean by "flying side stitching"? Is it the ones up in the quarters below the eyelets?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads