• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Actually, the best answer to this question is people need to stop seeking perfection.

It's folly.

At least for humans.

+1

Of all the things...issues...that a savvy buyer ought to be concerned with, this is probably the least important, if not wholly insignificant.

There are too many examples of off center medallions, tilted vamps, stitch crowded broguing, etc., associated with really high end, highly touted shoes...all of which has a tendency to go totally unnoticed. Nevermind construction techniques that actually do affect longevity and objective quality.

Last edited:

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What you see is the roller foot marks from the stitcher and, honestly, why it is so difficult to work with shell cordovan.

Yup, surprised no one seems to have noticed that before, as those roller marks are quite common on shell shoes, perhaps more visible/obvious with certain makers than others. Imo, not an issue at all and as Ron said, it's sort of to be expected with shell for the reasons he described.

Of all the things...issues...that a savvy buyer ought to be concerned with, this is probably the least important, if not wholly insignificant.

There are too many examples of off center medallions, tilted vamps, stitch crowded broguing, etc., associated with really high end, highly touted shoes...all of which has a tendency to go totally unnoticed. Nevermind construction techniques that actually do affect longevity and objective quality.

+1 to that.

You want fucked up? I give you fucked up, tilted vamp and all.

Why would you not simply buy a pair of NOS vintage shell gunboats on eBay? Those are very ordinary gunboats in last shape IMO.

You make it sound like it's easy to find a quality NOS shell longwing in a common size (i.e. not a size 12AA or whatever) on ebay...

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not that EG needs any defending......but this caught my eye and thought I would offer up an opinion.

What you see is the roller foot marks from the stitcher and, honestly, why it is so difficult to work with shell cordovan. Shell is not consistent in it's weight (thickness) through each shell and the stitcher must be calibrated to guide from the lowest level. The fact that there are going to be some high spots (which cause the pressure and the indentation of the roller foot) is simply par for the course. It would be impossible for the person pattern stitching to anticipate this. Also, since you really can't iron and steam shell as effectively as calf in the finishing room, these marks just don't pull out.

To be perfectly honest, this is one of the finer examples of factory made shell shoes I have seen in quite some time. I wouldn't even accept an order with this much perfing involved. Hell, I don't even like to accept orders for shell shoes or boots with a medallion - causes a lot of breaking in work......and that's very expensive trash.

It is absolutely unfair to expect a shell shoe or boot to have the same tight lines and finishing as calfskin. It is a totally different material with different characteristics that are very difficult to control.

And, finally, most factories - not just UK ones - dislike working with shell. At least the workers do, as they are the ones that always get called to the carpet when something doesn't come out as hoped. Unfortunately, shell has a mind of it's own.

Excellent post, and thank you for the clarification. I didnt know this, as none of my shell shoes have it. Good to know though.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, the best answer to this question is people need to stop seeking perfection.

It's folly.

At least for humans.

Well, try stating this to the various style forum members interviewed in this article: Fop Culture.

...and I thought I had it bad.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beyond beautiful and the shiney toe is unbelievable. How long did they spend on doing that? Russian reindeer cals aka NOT Metta Catherina?

Last edited:

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those have got to be some of the nicest shoes I've seen on here. Simply wonderful.

VictorSF

Reaction score
Great shoes!

I have a similar pair of SC, but in another block (I have them in the block № 505)

Your shoe - much nicer!

What is the basic block was used by you when ordering?

Or is it a re-designed shoe for you?

I love it!

Last edited:

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great shoes!

I have a similar pair of SC, but in another block (I have them in the block № 505)

Your shoe - much nicer!

I love it!

Yours is on the chiseled, his is on the Riva last. Both fit exactly the same btw. despite the optical differences.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great shoes!

Your shoe - much nicer!

I love it!

Absolutely wonderful pair of monks :slayer:

Last edited:

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beyond beautiful and the shiney toe is unbelievable. How long did they spend on doing that? Russian reindeer cals aka NOT Metta Catherina?
Thanks! It doesn't come like that from the factory, a good friend have spent many hours of elbow grease to achieved that finish. The supply of Russian reindeer calf do come from Metta Catherina but it seems there are never ending supplies of this stuff.
Those have got to be some of the nicest shoes I've seen on here. Simply wonderful.
Thanks!
Great shoes!

Your shoe - much nicer!

I love it!

Victor you have very good taste. Your shoes are on the chiseled last, my are on the classic last, it is exactly the same shoe apart from the toes.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The supply of Russian reindeer calf do come from Metta Catherina but it seems there are never ending supplies of this stuff.

it does not look like the catherina stuff
which has a crosshatched pattern
ala cleverley/n&l

these look more like what santoni uses
because eg's willow grain pattern is
a bit 'tighter'

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Metta Catherina supply should be finished by a long time, I think that the story that It is still available, it is a legend in the legend...

Last edited:

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads