• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
EG likely buy enough volume for JR to bend a little and provide the soles sans logo.
That would be my guess, as well.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I find the JR logo to fade away after just one or two wearings. It's definitely not heavily imprinted on my pairs of Vass.
You are right, the printed logo comes off in no time. I doubt that it is a pain to remove during production, though some recent Vass has some soles that have embossed JR logo. In fact, Vass used to remove the printed JR logo until they got feedback that customers actually prefer to see the logo on the sole.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
In fact, Vass used to remove the printed JR logo until they got feedback that customers actually prefer to see the logo on the sole.

that was my guess, as well.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The art of achieving a sweet, clear, clean, bottom finish is to avoid taking anything off the grain surface, if possible. That means super cleanliness and exceptional care in making. And even then, Thornton, et al, recommend a light snuffing...or among bespoke makers, a "glassing" (scraping with a piece of broken glass). The fact that it takes more than one wearing on much higher abrasive surfaces than fine sandpaper...ie. streets and sidewalks...should tell us something about how strongly it is imprinted there (most likely with heat, as well). I spoke to a Rendenbach rep years ago and he told me that a "good shoemaker shouldn't have to do anything to the bottoms of his outsoles" (tell that to every bespoke maker in the world) and that JR imprinted the logo there...in the middle of the forepart of the outsole rather than under the heel or on the back side...because they wanted to force customers to leave it in place rather than destroy the finish entirely trying to remove it. Go figure...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
The art of achieving a sweet, clear, clean, bottom finish is to avoid taking anything off the grain surface, if possible. That means super cleanliness and exceptional care in making. Go figure...

Then how does one get a fiddleback waist that is smooth without carving deep into the sole?

shoefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Then how does one get a fiddleback waist that is smooth without carving deep into the sole?
Mainly by thinning/skiving the other side (flesh side) of the outsole in the waist before it is attached to the shoe. The maker may glass the grain side of the outsole when finishing the sole, but most of the shape comes from the preparatory skiving.
soleprep0002.jpg

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Spot on and great photo, Shoefan.

Also, the shank stiffener is covered or built up to create a foundational fiddleback shape.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
Mainly by thinning/skiving the other side (flesh side) of the outsole in the waist before it is attached to the shoe. The maker may glass the grain side of the outsole when finishing the sole, but most of the shape comes from the preparatory skiving.

soleprep0002.jpg

Originally Posted by DWFII
^Spot on and great photo, Shoefan.

Also, the shank stiffener is covered or built up to create a foundational fiddleback shape.

Wow, this is awesome. A lot harder work than I had imagined.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Wow, this is awesome. A lot harder work than I had imagined.
What's really the trick is to channel the skived edge of the waist.... The outsole is sewn onto the welt from the breast of the heel around to the other side. When the forepart is channeled you have roughly .5cm into which you can cut your channel (of course you must not cut more than half that depth). The channel needs to be deep enough to both hide and hold the stitches. When the waist is skived for fiddleback, you might have .25cm of substance to work with and the welt itself is often thinned as well. Do all that, hide the stitches completely and present a smooth glossy surface and edge that does not show any evidence of being channeled or sewn...!!!
inlove.gif
and
worship2.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't imagine how much time it takes to get this all to come out correctly.

emptym

Reaction score
^I found the discussion above to be very interesting.

Originally Posted by KObalto
I'm betting you really hate the Jesuits then.
rimshot.gif

Originally Posted by NOBD
Rimshot worthy. Definitely. Well, not hate; I just don't like them.
I love 'em. If not for that celibacy thing, I might have been one! But I'm w/ you, NOBD, on your preference for simple monkstraps.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
^I found the discussion above to be very interesting.

I love 'em. If not for that celibacy thing, I might have been one! But I'm w/ you, NOBD, on your preference for simple monkstraps.

smile.gif
I'm glad you saved yourself.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
My favorite Pebble Grain Wingtips. Again, not your "every day" grain, but this'll certainly keep you regular.

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

what animal has this type of skin?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads