Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

It's a big hit if they don't. [​IMG]

shoe trees also help the fit... you want your shoe trees to be snug.

I half size down in shoes (to account for stretch from wear) and half size up in shoe trees now (to fully fill the shoes when resting)

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

I just got mine, wore them a few times, and now they feel amazing. They were a bit tight to start. Trust me, they will be fine. I will admit though, I was REALLY worried at first. I think EG's just favor a really close fit. And the 606 and 202 are a bit cramped on the upper part of my toe area... Like about the knuckle of my big toe.

How tight? Mine feel very tight at the small toe and big toe. Small toe issues I've learned to deal with but none of my shoes feel like this at the big toe. [​IMG]

3. Mr. Moo

shoe trees also help the fit... you want your shoe trees to be snug.

I half size down in shoes (to account for stretch from wear) and half size up in shoe trees now (to fully fill the shoes when resting)

Mine have the EG trees.

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

How tight? Mine feel very tight at the small toe and big toe. Small toe issues I've learned to deal with but none of my shoes feel like this at the big toe. [​IMG]

Like tighter than any other shoes I have owned. The 606 last is just very cramped in this area. However, after one wear it was fine. With that said, I have been wearing VERY thin socks with them.

5. srivats

srivats Senior member

Moo, can you flex all your toes inside the shoe? If not, they are too tight. This is what I go with, no matter what sizing advice you read on the fora.

There is snug and there is tight ... make sure you don't hurt your feet with the wrong size!

6. Mr. Moo

Like tighter than any other shoes I have owned. The 606 last is just very cramped in this area. However, after one wear it was fine. With that said, I have been wearing VERY thin socks with them.

I dunno... these are TIGHT. If there is a wider size (same length) it may work for me.

Moo, can you flex all your toes inside the shoe? If not, they are too tight. This is what I go with, no matter what sizing advice you read on the fora.

There is snug and there is tight ... make sure you don't hurt your feet with the wrong size!

Flex as in fully curl all toes downward? Didn't try... but will now.

7. srivats

srivats Senior member

Flex as in fully curl all toes downward? Didn't try... but will now.
    That to an extent, but more importantly, to the sides ... it is ok if your pinky hits the side of the shoes when you walk, but your toes should be able to splay inside the shoe when you walk as you lift the ball of your feet. Observe what your toes do when you walk barefoot. When you wear a shoe this motion should not be cramped too much. If it does, try a different width.

8. Mr. Moo

That to an extent, but more importantly, to the sides ... it is ok if your pinky hits the side of the shoes when you walk, but your toes should be able to splay inside the shoe when you walk as you lift the ball of your feet. Observe what your toes do when you walk barefoot. When you wear a shoe this motion should not be cramped too much. If it does, try a different width.

Yes... I tried them again with my thinnest socks (VERY thin/almost sheer) and this motion is cramped for me. These are a no go, which totally sucks. [​IMG]

Anyone interested in these before I send them back to LS?

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Yes... I tried them again with my thinnest socks (VERY thin/almost sheer) and this motion is cramped for me. These are a no go, which totally sucks. [​IMG] Anyone interested in these before I send them back to LS?
    Sorry Moo, that sucks. You may want to try the 82 last... I found it to be much more forgiving (surprisingly). The 202 is more forgiving as well in my opinion. And, although harder to find, the 505 has a higher toe box I believe.

10. Mr. Moo

Sorry Moo, that sucks. You may want to try the 82 last... I found it to be much more forgiving (surprisingly). The 202 is more forgiving as well in my opinion. And, although harder to find, the 505 has a higher toe box I believe.

Higher toe box and one size wider will do the trick, I think. I read that the 202 is the widest/most forgiving last so maybe I'll look into that. Will see what Tom says...

11. forex

forex Senior member

As far as my experience goes, 202 and 606 are very similar in fit although 606 is slightly elongated,Moo might go half a size up and see if they work for him. Maybe a bespoke shoe is in the future for Moo.

12. Mr. Moo

As far as my experience goes, 202 and 606 are very similar in fit although 606 is slightly elongated,Moo might go half a size up and see if they work for him. Maybe a bespoke shoe is in the future for Moo.

Not if my wife has anything to say about it. [​IMG]

I am convinced I have strange feet though. Fairly sure they are 1/4-1/3 size different. Very flat, and wide, with sensitive pinky toes. A mess.

13. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Are the RLPL Barksdales on the 606? If so, I sized up by 1/2 and they were still torture on my feet initially. Eventually, they began to mold and are now my favorite and most comfortable pair of EGs.

By the way, nice shoes.

14. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Senior member

RLPL Barksdales are on the 101 last. Tortuously low instep. But pretty shoes.

15. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Eek! Sorry those aren't working out for you Moo. Sounds like you may want to go a half size up in length. That will add extra room in the toe box all around in terms of length and width. A E width on the 606 is already pretty wide - noticeably wider than standard US D's from most makers. Curious what Tom says. Good luck as these are great shoes. I actually have my first pair of Dover's on the way in Chestnut Antique on the 202! My feet are different in size as well (half size difference on a Brannock) and for these I went a half size bigger on the left foot. Hopefully all turns out well!