• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Srynerson
Very nice! Are those in vieux bois?

No idea; the box states V. Noir.
When I ordered them I asked for this colour but I never knew the colour's name.
pierrecorthayoedipechuk.jpg

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crat

OK, that would be vieux noir. (The five-eyelet Norwegian derby in the "Handmade-to-Measure" section of Corthay's website is shown in that color.)

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bond77
Vintage sea turtle monks. Got them on ebay for a song. Theyre gorgeous even with a layer of dust and scuffs. Havent even been cleaned or polished in this pic yet.

gorgeous! can you link us to the original ebay listing? thanks!

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who makes these and where can I buy??
smile.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
EG Asquith on the 888 last. They were burgundy to start with but I painted them dark green before ever wearing them. Recently I got other green (colour) shoes so I changed these back to dark brown which I prefer over burgundy. I aimed to give them a little more patina than EG shoes usually have without overdoing it.

do you have a link to the dye you're using, I mean you literally switch color 3 times and it still came out great, I am thinking about experimenting, would love to hear some comment from someone who have done it successfully.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Who makes these and where can I buy??
smile.gif

It's Corthay's Chukka boot (no special model name, just "Chukka") on the 001 last in "vieux noir" (old black). If you're in the US, you'll have to order it as an MTO through Leffot in NYC: http://leffot.com

MTO for Corthay shoes in calf runs $1450, but I don't know if there's an upcharge for boots given the greater amount of material used in them. Call Leffot and ask to speak to Steven Taffel for details.

You can see the same boot in the color "lie de vin" (wine) under Collections -> Oedipe -> Model 9 at Corthay's website: http://www.corthay.fr/corthay_en.html

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holy... Are they made from glass?

Bond77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
The last on those sea turtle monks is pretty smooth with the picture taken that way. They did not look as good in the original snaps. Great price for something no longer available new and the patina as well.

They far nicer in person than in the ebay listing photos. All Ive done if wipe them with a damp cloth and apply some edge dressing. Once I get my hands on some reptile leather cleaner/conditioner, they'll be amazing. The patina is quite nice, with a darker shade on the vamp and lighter accents on the toe and heel areas. An interesting touch is that the buckle is wrapped in the skin as well. And the last is quite elegant and modern for a vintage piece.

Bond77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
gorgeous! can you link us to the original ebay listing? thanks!

Im afraid Ive already deleted the listing from my ebay home page. My apologies.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...253D&viewitem=

Beast shoes - I didn't buy, but regardless - meister and spoo will love

They are a nice skin, but I dont love for the following :

1. I hate croc/gator skin shoes with the scales faced on the diagonal. Cant stand that.

2. I only want (to wear) center cut matched belly skins (square tiled). These are side shanks, IINM.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
do you have a link to the dye you're using, I mean you literally switch color 3 times and it still came out great, I am thinking about experimenting, would love to hear some comment from someone who have done it successfully.

I used teinture francaise by saphir to dye the shoes after stripping them with aceton. As aceton is quite agressive I would not recommend doing it too often because it probably will harm the leather sooner or later.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads