1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

to my understanding, this is not true - shells can be cut in any direction, but the two tonedness depends on what direction the shells are cut in.

Of course the shoe panels on the shell should be cut in the same direction for best results, but it be cut in any direction as long as it is consistent.

2. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

This looks like the dye just didn't take well on those parts of the shell. Could have been a different shell all together. Looks poor all on one shoe in my opinion.

I think the panels come from different shells.

3. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

I think the panels come from different shells.

Has anyone ever seen the Alden production facility?

I assume that Vass cuts the shell for a single pair of shoes from a single piece, then sends those pieces to be constructed into a single pair of shoes.

Alden may well have a "cutting room", where a piece of shell is cut into many of the same part of the shoe, then placed in a bin together (ie: all toe caps cut from one piece).

Later, when the shoe is constructed, a piece is taken from this bin, another from that bin, etc. For mass production, this would seem necessary.

Although the different parts of the shoes look to be from different pieces of shell, both shoes DO seem to consistently match.

4. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Has anyone ever seen the Alden production facility?

I assume that Vass cuts the shell for a single pair of shoes from a single piece, then sends those pieces to be constructed into a single pair of shoes.

Alden may well have a "cutting room", where a piece of shell is cut into many of the same part of the shoe, then placed in a bin together (ie: all toe caps cut from one piece).

Later, when the shoe is constructed, a piece is taken from this bin, another from that bin, etc. For mass production, this would seem necessary.

Although the different parts of the shoes look to be from different pieces of shell, both shoes DO seem to consistently match.

I know Vass cuts from one piece of shell for the same shoes. I supply them with some rare colour shells for my orders and they only have that one piece to cut from. However, one can still detect some small colour variation especially in the lighter colour shells. I have some lighter colour shells at home. They do show some colour variation even on the same shell.

I had assumed that Alden would use one shell for each pair of shoes especially for those lighter colours. Alden's finishing is not as rustic as Vass but I have not seen lighter colour shell show much of a variance in colour when new. With colour 8, since they dye the shells after the shoe is completed, I think Alden might be combining cuttings from different shells on one pair of shoes since the dye covers up any inconsistency.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I supply them with some rare colour shells for my orders

Teh source, it must be PM'd.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Fills me with great sadness when you are almost "around the corner" from the Vass workshop and my favourite all time shell monks (see above) and me Down Under.[​IMG] [​IMG]

no need to be sad. they never appealed to me, especially on the u-last, where they remind me of a hippopotamus.

some eyetalien dudes can pull of dm's quite well. then that's it.

i have to adjust my distance calibration - six hours isn't almost around the corner [​IMG]

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Good philosophy, I think. I KNOW you have fun here, which is the whole point. AND, obviously, what fun is life without a friendly "joust" now again?

thanks and sure. it's a nice playground here...

8. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Something we don't see here often, F last penny loafer in dark brown shell. I wear them in the same size as my Vass oxfords and fit is very nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Edward Green Oundle in Mink suede

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Something we don't see here often, F last penny loafer in dark brown shell. I wear them in the same size as my Vass oxfords and fit is very nice.
    [​IMG]

Nice. On the list for the next purchase.

11. Isak Bengtsbo

Isak Bengtsbo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beautiful shoes, Kolecho. Is there a big difference between the New Peter last and the F last fit wise? I've a pair of penny loafers on the New Peter last and they look very similar in the pictures.

12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fuck i know i just said "perfect" to the F last whiskey, but this is perfect too. damn.

13. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Awsome! Which last? If the 82 I'm guessing E width. I have a pair of these on the 888 and they might be my favorite pair of shoes. I need to stop myself from wearing them too much as I'd like them to last for a while!

14. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Something we don't see here often, F last penny loafer in dark brown shell. I wear them in the same size as my Vass oxfords and fit is very nice. [​IMG]
    ^^^ these are nice + Love the look of the U last loafer, but two things put me off .. 1. scared of getting the wrong size in U 2. Don't know how to pull off loafers without looking old man-style - I know it can be done, but how?

15. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Oundles are fucking awesome, very underrated shoe among the double monk rabidity.

16. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I need to stop myself from wearing them too much as I'd like them to last for a while!

that's funny, indeed

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

18. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Awsome! Which last? If the 82 I'm guessing E width. I have a pair of these on the 888 and they might be my favorite pair of shoes. I need to stop myself from wearing them too much as I'd like them to last for a while!

Thanks David, it's on the 82 last F width. These will look great on the 888 last too. I could have gone down half size. I have been wanting these for a long time. It didn't help EG took 10 months to deliver these.

19. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

that's funny, indeed
    Is it kind of a pun?
    I guess it turned out that way due to the word last. Shoe jokes can be anywhere!
    Thanks David, it's on the 82 last F width. These will look great on the 888 last too. I could have gone down half size. I have been wanting these for a long time. It didn't help EG took 10 months to deliver these.
    Glad they finally arrived! The 82 looks quite nice on F width. The same last in D width looks quite odd to my eye.

20. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I guess it turned out that way due to the word last. Shoe jokes can be anywhere!

alright, you're my favorite shoe joker.