Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

IMHO for those prices I am better off visiting Austro-Hungarians and getting fully bespoke shoes.

exactly

2. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

[​IMG]

Carmina midnight cordovan monks MTO.

Sweet.

3. Groover

Groover Senior member

Hi
    I've just ordered a MTO Dover and the charge was £860 (the prices have just gone up)
    top drawer must be at least £1300 now

Thanks.

I'm sure they'll be great shoes, but IMHO those prices are excessive to say the least.

4. meister

meister Senior member

My second MTO shoes. These are Vass styled monkstraps, made in Vietnam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much appreciate you guys' criticisms and comments.

Very nice especially the steampunkish buckle.

5. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah good question, the stock dover comes with a double leather sole all the way through (not HAF) so I guess the waist is relatively flat.

Assuming you went for a double leather sole the options on the waist would be somewhat limited. I would expect EG to encourage a HAF sole if you wanted something doing, IE nails, bevelling etc.

I'm down in London in a couple of weeks, If I get chance I'll try and pop in to see what they suggest.

yes do so as it would be an interesting project

i am not keen on how EG do HAF i would rather have the plain double but if they could finish it similar to this Delos pair then i would really consider it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. artoftime

artoftime Senior member

7. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The distance between the brogue line and the start of the medallion looks similar, which leads me to conclude the size of the shoe is having an affect on how much space is left between the end of the medallion and the front of the shoe.
    Yes, this is the main reason for medallions to look like they're of different proportions on similar shoes. And this is also why they look a bit smaller and further back on NORE's shoes. IIRC, he wears size 11 or 12 shoes. The other example is probably smaller.

9. kal249

kal249 Member

Is this with or without VAT. If it is without VAT then the price for us Americans is £732. This is still steep for the pair of shoes I must admit that the EG prices are slowly turning me away from their offerings. IMHO for those prices I am better off visiting Austro-Hungarians and getting fully bespoke shoes.

Hi

Yes the prices include VAT. I must say that specials (such as the Halifax) are being quoted at well over £900). I think bespoke is really only an option if you have really mis-shapen feet or always have trouble getting shoes to fit etc. You must remember that top notch bespoke costs well over £3000 for one pair!! I'm sure that those prices are also on the rise. I've always thought that EG are the best RTW maker by a long way but you're right its getting mighty pricey!!

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I think bespoke is really only an option if you have really mis-shapen feet or always have trouble getting shoes to fit etc.

not true

You must remember that top notch bespoke costs well over £3000 for one pair!!

you can have it for less...

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Two greenies on one page! Who's sellin? [​IMG] Luk, those look like the Lobb Ashley.

12. kal249

kal249 Member

not true

you can have it for less...

So why else would you have bespoke other than really having to have it because of some physical problems with your feet?? Unless you just had more money than sense!

13. laufer

laufer Senior member

Hi

Yes the prices include VAT. I must say that specials (such as the Halifax) are being quoted at well over £900). I think bespoke is really only an option if you have really mis-shapen feet or always have trouble getting shoes to fit etc. You must remember that top notch bespoke costs well over £3000 for one pair!! I'm sure that those prices are also on the rise. I've always thought that EG are the best RTW maker by a long way but you're right its getting mighty pricey!!

There is no argument that EG makes exceptional shoes. I really like Falkrik. I think it is unique and beautiful shoe. I have been thinking about buying it but the ever increasing price is huge turn off. For time being I am sticking with bespoke from Herr Maftei Granted Maftei shoes are not going to win Style Forum beauty contest against EG but IMHO comfort and fit should come first.

The reason I like bespoke shoes is comfort. There is no break in period they fit perfectly straight from the box.

14. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

Two greenies on one page! Who's sellin? [​IMG] Luk, those look like the Lobb Ashley.

these puppies are Delos Beespoke