Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. aon

aon Senior member

Bally double monks

[​IMG]

2. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

... Also, I feel I should add the clicking doesn't look like its hand done, probably stamped by a hydro clicking machine, Blake McCabe welted, cheap leather, gimping is improperly shaped and over 300 pounds! But, you can't have enough pairs of brogues.
    It is highly unlikely those AS "country range" boots are clicked using a "die” (a punch form like a cookie cutter)...
    I have no idea if Groover's boots (very nice btw) were hand clicked, but I do know that AS does a lot of hand clicking. Here's a picture of them hand clicking my "oneshoe" which was made to their regular high (but not handgrade) standards: [​IMG] They were assuredly not Blake stitched, of cheap or corrected grain leather or improperly shaped, nor were Groovers. I like your posts of your shoes, Andrew W and hope you'll stick around, but you're way off in these comments. Have you found the hcc.org? Lot's of great stuff there.
    ...I can't afford you...
    You might be pleasantly surprised. PM him. I'm by no means the richest guy here. Like you, if iirc, I get a lot of stuff from thrift stores. And when I ordered a boot from him last year, it was about half my annual budget, but I plan to have them for 40 yrs or more. The LL Bean camp mocs I have on right now, I've had for 20-something years, and they'll last several more. Quality over quantity.
    ... Because, from my point of view, believing in hierarchies is all about aspirations and expecting the best of oneself (in this context myself). Of reaching for, if not always obtaining, excellence. It's dern sure not about defending techniques or products that clearly do not rise above the mundane or which I myself have no personal vested interest in or any objective knowledge about. I will not defend my choice of sports coats, for instance. I didn't weave the cloth I didn't cut the pieces...I have no idea whether it was done well or not. I just like it...
    Yes, sadly, we only have a certain number of years, hours, etc., to devote to our pursuit, so we do need to settle. But hopefully we don't make this an excuse or a rationalization very often. It's the pursuit that matters, but it's too easy to give up on it.
    ...Not all of us have unlimited funds and more importantly, not all of us want to spend money on what is considered "the best" until they have explored some of the various options available.
    This is part of why I bought used shoes for years, to DW's chagrin! But it was part of my education.
    I have read some of the recent posts in this thread and I don't really see where you can make some of the statements above. Whilst I cannot speak for anyone else, I can say for me, there is nothing more frustrating than when people mis-represents facts. I personally do not care whether people like or dislike the shoes that I prefer. To this effect, I have stopped posting pictures of my shoes...
    Oh no! Fight on!
    ... I see you as an educational force on this site. ... P.S. I also want to say that I also admire the way Bengal-Stripe comments. I do see his comments as generally objective and easy to follow (and verify, if needs be).
    They drag us out of the cave.

3. coolshoes

coolshoes Senior member

Oh, how I love and long for pictures of great shoes ...

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Oh, how I love and long for pictures of great shoes ...
    No offense, but this has always puzzled me...why can't we do both, even in this thread? I don't know about anyone else but even though I don't post photos much, I am capable of walking and chewing gum...or any of a number of different things...at the same time. I enjoy looking at photos but I honestly don't think Stan Lee is the moderator here.

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Please do both. I'll be watching and reading.

6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

DW mentioned the pursuit of excellence above. That reminds me of Plato's Republic. There he divides a person into three parts, ruled by three desires, for (1) money/comfort/pleasure, (2) honor/respect, or (3) virtue/excellence. Individuals allow one of these parts to rule above all. Most people are ruled by the first desire, a substantial portion by the second, and a tiny minority by the third.
    Reminds me of a book I read years ago--called The Master Game: Pathways to Higher Consciousness by de Ropp
    Just for kicks...although I don't expect them to get a lot of love on SF...and to show that it can be done--walking and chewing gum at the same time--here is a pair of boots one of my students, from Brussels, made when he was here with me. [​IMG]

7. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Senior member

Please do both. I'll be watching and reading.
    +1 -- good conversation and IMO fitting for the beginning of the new year.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Trying something new this year... [​IMG]

9. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

Is it just me, or does DWF always get into efights with other SFers and post tomes?

10. meister

meister Senior member

Is it just me, or does DWF always get into efights with other SFers and post tomes?

Yes but it it's all good....

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Its not just you. But there is education in the eFight club.

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 cap toes

13. NiFTY

NiFTY Senior member

Its not just you. But there is education in the eFight club.

Don't talk about the eFight club. Its the first and 2nd rule.

14. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 cap toes

Nice - those are new I assume?

15. txeconomist

txeconomist Senior member

Those look great mac, shoes and socks. Just when I dont think I need anything.