• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
theyare - good collection of shoes - I especially admire your collection of laceups. I'd say your casual shoe wardrobe needs an upgrade. Throw out the barker blacks, ferragamos et al and invest in a pair of suede penny loafers from one of the english makers. You might also want to add a pair of cordovan shoes in either a loafer or a bulcher - vass or alden would be good choices.

Do you have a pair of evening shoes? I recently bought a pair of patent leather dress shoes from EG that are spectacular - maybe my favorite pair in my entire collection.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Theyare, I don't think you need to add any. I would just get rid of a few, the ones you don't wear. Personally I would not end up wearing several of those loafers.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
theyare - good collection of shoes - I especially admire your collection of laceups. I'd say your casual shoe wardrobe needs an upgrade. Throw out the barker blacks, ferragamos et al and invest in a pair of suede penny loafers from one of the english makers. You might also want to add a pair of cordovan shoes in either a loafer or a bulcher - vass or alden would be good choices.

Do you have a pair of evening shoes? I recently bought a pair of patent leather dress shoes from EG that are spectacular - maybe my favorite pair in my entire collection.

Agreed on some of the loafers.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0493.jpg

GAZIANO & GIRLING St. James, Vintage Cherry, Last MH71

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0493.jpg

GAZIANO & GIRLING St. James, Vintage Cherry, Last MH71

SWEET!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
I think the soft square last aka MH71 is much more elegant and balanced than the TG73, nicely done.
but doesn't this depend on the shape of your feet and what fits you better, also what's more flattering for your frame?

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
SWEET!

Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
^^^those are so serious.

I think the soft square last aka MH71 is much more elegant and balanced than the TG73, nicely done.

Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Nice shoes..............but why the dead pigeon?

Originally Posted by ryoneo
These are beautiful.

Thank you - it's a very nice last and the finish is superb.

So bengal, you can ID from the ass & wing feathers ;-)? I believe it's some kind of shore bird. jh

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
but doesn't this depend on the shape of your feet and what fits you better, also what's more flattering for your frame?

I think choosing between lasts because certain ones fit better than others is reasonable but a completely different issue.

Fit aside, I find the TG73 just too sleek and fashion-y looking. I dont think a wearer's frame would change my opinion on that. I do think that certain cuts and styles jive better with a sleek last and make it look more reasonable but at the end of the day it doesnt work well to me. The last posted on this page and the round last that Portnoy posted on his G&Gs are exceptional IMO.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think choosing between lasts because certain ones fit better than others is reasonable but a completely different issue.

not completely different...

Fit aside, the round last that Portnoy posted on his G&Gs is exceptional IMO.

cannot put fit aside, but agree on aportnoys round toes.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snapped these pics for another member. Thought i might as well post them here:
P1000331.jpg
P1000330.jpg
P1000329.jpg
P1000333.jpg
P1000332.jpg
P1000334.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads