• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry for my poor english first and my noob question

11.jpg
1.jpg

i notice some shoe which area 1 is a little sag, and area 2 seems have a subgrade underneath.

does it mean that the shoe is hand welted, or just a softer cork inside ?

Thanks!

emptym

Reaction score

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum. Can I know what brand and model is these pair? They look awesome! thanks.
Hello, welcome and thanks!

These are Barstow by Crockett and Jones

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the Skolyx affiliate thread: Showing off my own new pair of the Skolyx plain toe blucher in dark brown suede with double rubber sole, made on the rounder Ben last. From the casual collection which was one of the first things I started working on when employed by Skolyx (even before I started actually). Turned out like I hoped, and happy to hear that people think the fit is excellent. Goodyear welted on Mallorca, nice Italian suede, leather board heel stiffeners.

DSC05947.jpg

DSC05899.jpg

DSC05914.jpg

DSC05923.jpg

DSC05934.jpg

DSC05910.jpg

DSC05952.jpg

DSC05930.jpg

DSC05943.jpg

DSC05955.jpg

DSC05959.jpg

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great. The line of the toe cap appears further back

Thanks! It's mainly since it's size UK11G which makes the medallion a bit small, and a big gap between the brogued cap and medallion. Here's a UK8,5 shoe in the same model:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i notice some shoe which area 1 is a little sag, and area 2 seems have a subgrade underneath.
does it mean that the shoe is hand welted, or just a softer cork inside ?

I think it does mean it's hand welted, but I'd ask @DWFII..

Well, it's hard to say. Who made these shoes?

Usually, with hand welted and esp. in this day and age, you would see pronounced 'stitch shadows' running across the #2 area at roughly quarter inch intervals. But I don't see that. So I'm thinking that the insole is fairly thin and the gemming relatively rigid and the rest of insole is subsiding around it.

I could be wrong. Trying to decipher a photograph is hard enough, as it is. Not knowing anything else about the shoe makes it doubly hard.

Last edited:

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's hard to say. Who made these shoes?

Usually, with hand welted and esp. in this day and age, you would see pronounced 'stitch shadows' running across the #2 area at roughly quarter inch intervals. But I don't see that. So I'm thinking that the insole is fairly thin and the gemming relatively rigid and the rest of insole is subsiding around it.

I could be wrong. Trying to decipher a photograph is hard enough, as it is. Not knowing anything else about the shoe makes it doubly hard.
thank you, DWF!

IIRC, the maker is kiton, and i also see this subsidence on other makers like santoni.

Best Regards!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads