1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bengal and I have discussed this at length and I have come around to his way of thinking. I might not like the shoes that maker "X" produces but to beat on that drum only serves to cause potential harm to their commercial interests and serves no meaningful benefit for me.

I relaize that this is a forum where we discuss our opinions, but just as we can create a frenzy of favorable attention we can likewise dissuade and damage.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I seem to recall , that we both have a dislike for the current rage of oversized wrist watches. Your opinion is on record here, but I cannot recall, that every time someone posts a picture of their 42mm+ watch you come in with "What an ugly meat thermometer on your wrist!".

Why don't you do that? I suppose your opinions on oversized watches hasn't changed. Wouldn't it give you a kick to say: "What bad taste you have, my taste is so much better!"

You're thinking of someone else, I collect 44mm Panerai watches and love my Big Pilot to death. I do read a lot of those idiotic comments about large case watches though and I certainly don't get my panties in a bunch. People can be dumb and ignorant, that's OK with me.

3. gdl203

Bengal and I have discussed this at length and I have come around to his way of thinking. I might not like the shoes that maker "X" produces but to beat on that drum only serves to cause potential harm to their commercial interests and serves no meaningful benefit for me.
    Are we talking about the same bengal who has been on a never-ending crusade to destroy fritzl's Operation Paprika ? That sounds a bit at odds with what you are saying here...

4. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are we talking about the same bengal who has been on a never-ending crusade to destroy fritzl's Operation Paprika ? That sounds a bit at odds with what you are saying here...

Well the Hatfield's will always have the McCoy's and so forth I suppose. But yes, he's the same guy.

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

How's Hyde Park these days?

Well, the leaves are coming down.

6. bengal-stripe

Are we talking about the same bengal who has been on a never-ending crusade to destroy fritzl's Operation Paprika ?

I’m not on this or any other crusade.

Fritzl can flog whatever he wants, but he should restrict it to ‘buying and selling’.
    Never in my life have I interfered into what is on offer within that specific sub-forum.

My beef is that Fritzl abuses the main forum and the majority of his postings are determined
    by his commercial interests and the same postings get repeated ad nauseam.
    There is no other seller here on this forum, who pursues his commercial interests with the same ruthlessness.

Rather like the conductor Arthur Nikisch, who came to New York to conduct the Philharmonic.
    Asked by the press about his program he replied: “Ve’ll play a lot of Brahms”.
    When the reporter pointed out that New York audiences did not like Brahms,
    Nikisch’s reply was: “Zen ve play him, till zey do!”

7. gdl203

There is no other seller here on this forum, who pursues his commercial interests with the same ruthlessness.
    I can think of a couple, namely one in this very thread continuously posting pictures of Vass that he happens to be selling as well. Another one posts pics of British shoes he happens to be selling here or on eBay.

I have nothing against either though - I'm happy to see the pics and comment on them, whether they're fritzl's or others', whether they're for sale or not.

The part about you not being on a crusade to sink the Paprika ship is laughable. And I say that as someone who values your contributions to this forum a lot and has been reading your more informative posts for years.

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Are you?

sure

looking forward to your contributions.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

S T F U

O.K., so I take this as you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

See, the conclusion I've reached is that fritzl is a fascist, much like his forefathers, but this way of thinking is now directed towards shoes that are not made for Shrek's feet.

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

See, the conclusion I've reached is that fritzl is a fascist, much like his forefathers, but this way of thinking is now directed towards shoes that are not made for Shrek's feet.

whatever floats your boat.

btw, don't forget to post a picture of your shoes. this is what this thread is about.

11. bengal-stripe

I can think of a couple, namely one in this very thread continuously posting pictures of Vass that he happens to be selling as well. Another one posts pics of British shoes he happens to be selling here or on eBay.

The part about you not being on a crusade to sink the Paprika ship is laughable.

Don’t forget, until a few month ago, Fritzl had his trusted lieutenant Stirling Gilette to beat that very same drum.
    (It appears SG has left the drum or the shoe trade, whatever.) None of the other sellers you mention,
    posts that same picture more than once or hurls vile abuse at other posters.

Occasionally I feel the need to intervene when Fritzl post blatantly wrong stuff, like today,
    when he stated English shoemakers would use ’half an insole’.

Rubbish, nobody can or does make a shoes with half an insole. Period!

Most of my postings are factual, there are only a very few polemical ones.
    But then, I have no agenda and have no commercial interests.

Be assured, I have no intention of letting that whole thing slide off the rails,
    to the same extend as the Manton/FilmNoirBuff saga.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Rubbish, nobody can or does make a shoes with half an insole. Period!

sockliner, freudscher, who cares...

13. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

I understand you're trying to be funny, but that ^ is really uncalled for.

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am warming up to Big Shoes lately. Soon I will start a threak called "American Gunboats."

Whiskey is nice but I think it's not great as a brogue. Less detail is better.

Gunboats with suits = [​IMG] My favorite pair right now are Florsheims I picked up on B&S for $89.

God Bless America.

You're warming my heart. Make sure to post your Florsheims, please.

I relaize that this is a forum where we discuss our opinions, but just as we can create a frenzy of favorable attention we can likewise dissuade and damage.

Sometimes people really need to be dissuaded. [​IMG]

I do not wish to damage anyone's business, but, at the same time, sometimes I think the forum wants to live in an idealistic vacuum, where the sheer nobility of "I dress for myself" trumps the practical concerns of existing in the real world.

We do others, especially n00bs, no favors by sitting silently when they're given bad advice.

15. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Doc and Aportnoy - my feeling is that the truth, as with most things, lies in the middle. It's good to offer criticism when it should be given, but it should be done eloquently and not while beating a dead horse.

16. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

Since you guys won't shut up, I'll post my most recent acquisition: [​IMG] Alden natural chromexcel ptb with flex sole

17. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am warming up to Big Shoes lately. Soon I will start a threak called "American Gunboats."

there is a thread about them on FNB, so becarful you dont get more slagging off for it ;-)

18. srivats

srivats Senior member

Since you guys won't shut up, I'll post my most recent acquisition:
    [​IMG]
    Alden natural chromexcel ptb with flex sole

D, how do you like the natural chromexel?

19. Butter

Butter Senior member

Since you guys won't shut up, I'll post my most recent acquisition: [​IMG] Alden natural chromexcel ptb with flex sole
    I was wondering when this thread was going to start delivering again. Thanks for stepping up. How does chromexcel feel like? Is it tougher than calf but not as tough as cordovan?

20. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

D, how do you like the natural chromexel?

Love it, pairs wells with the natural sole.

How does chromexcel feel like? Is it tougher than calf but not as tough as cordovan?

Something like that... very oily, molds to the feet really well, and seems to be a great leather for wet weather.