Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Pfffffft. You make up for your restrained shoes by soaking them in cat piss to give them that unique patina.

Eau de Chatpisse by Hermès.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Everyone except you knew what he was talking about
    Yes. Can we put this to bed now (oh shoot... did I use the right idiom?)

3. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

As for matt croc I have seen the absolutely most beautiful and perfect one imaginable in the new Stefano Ricci flagshipstore, he had armchairs there entirely made of matt orange croc skin.
    The skins were so perfect that I first didnt believe that it was real croc.

Wish there were pics [​IMG]

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

While I take your (very valid) point, understand that at the same time for a certain income to stretch to a certain price point, people want to get perceived value - something that like it or not is not fulfilled by a 'staple' product. Whether this perceived value is acheived by a bit of whimsy, or peacocking, or getting something that the person he wants to be would wear regularly, or getting the attention and 'awe/respect' of strangers of the internet, it is an undeniably powerful force. Like someone else mentioned, sartorially-speaking it isn't restricted to just shoes - when I finally ventured into bespoke clothing, it was incredibly difficult to get as my first 2 jackets a greyish donegal & a plain blue blazer. But I would like to add that is ubiquitous to nearly every aspect of our lives. e.g. it's precisely the same reason why most people who go to good restaurants sometime expect a non-food related spectacle of sorts, and many restaurants have obliged - which is why we have creations like 'Sound of the Sea'.
    All this is well said. I would only add that marketing and our willingness to suspend disbelief or to accept a common...what's the word?...canon about what quality really is, plays into the perception of value. Unfortunately. Which is all the more reason to be open to knowledge and information that can differentiate real quality and real value from perceived value. It doesn't mean that you change your preferences or trash your favourite shoes...it only means that when you're ready, you will have the insights to know what you are actually getting...and what you are paying for...and perhaps make an informed (intelligent?) decision about whether it is worth stepping to the next level.

5. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

Wish there were pics [​IMG]

Here's a small pic that can be found on the net:
    [​IMG]

6. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

7. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

... I bet it's gemmed too--gonna blow up on you any minute now.
    This was funny the first time Vox said it, and only then. When people start to take it seriously, it becomes a false standard: if the shoe doesn't blow up, it's just as good as any shoe.

8. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

9. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

This piece was chosen by a lady for her bespoke shoes.

As for matt croc I have seen the absolutely most beautiful and perfect one imaginable in the new Stefano Ricci flagshipstore, he had armchairs there entirely made of matt orange croc skin.
    The skins were so perfect that I first didnt believe that it was real croc.
    I was surprised that from all the Ricci stuff the exotic leather items were really beautiful and tasteful whereas almost everything else was rather kitschy, incl the the mannequins which were dressed in pure cashmere and Scabal 250s and had bronze eagle heads.
    The whole store is the shit there was a Model D or B (I think) Steinway in the entrance hall, mainly for decoration purpose it seemed.

slighty better option of ladies BS shoes

cant beat matt croc IMO, dont think much to the orange thro

10. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

[​IMG]

The parallel eyelets bother me a bit.

11. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

This was funny the first time Vox said it, and only then. When people start to take it seriously, it becomes a false standard: if the shoe doesn't blow up, it's just as good as any shoe.
    +100 Thank you. I don't know that anyone took it seriously...although that's within the realm of possibility, for sure. But it was a jab. [​IMG][And if that's a bit of paranoia coming out, well, "perfect paranoia is perfect perception."] And we've been there time and again. Occasionally one has to step in and correct the record, if nothing else. If you poke a hornet's nest...the better part of wisdom is to expect some sort of reaction. What's more it ...along with the "lateral stiffness" comment...it was baseless and ignorant. Nothing I've ever said would lead to that kind of assumption. Worse, in the end, it simply plays to the "group think"/mob-mentality that prevails here among those too lazy or too insecure to think objectively.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

if the shoe doesn't blow up, it's just as good as any shoe.

there are good and there are better. i prefer the latter.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Given that this is first and foremost meant to be a picture thread, am I the only one who wonders why we never see DWFII's master pieces here? I'd love to see what the only authoritative figure on shoe making actually makes and just how mind-blowing these shoes may be. thx

^^ I realize this was a bit long. I meant: less blah blah, more pics.

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Given that this is first and foremost meant to be a picture thread, am I the only one who wonders why we never see DWFII's master pieces here? I'd love to see what the only authoritative figure on shoe making actually makes and just how mind-blowing these shoes may be. thx

good proposal.

thank you

15. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

What?
    And I thought this thread was about orienting yourself in three-dimensional space.
    [​IMG]