• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Chris, I find C&J 337 fits quite close to the U last, closer than the F last. With F last I have to down size at least half a size from the U last. If 337 fits you pretty good and you're a big fan of U last, I think you're in luck. I know many people have fit issue width wise with U last.

Thanks a lot von Rothbart. This is GREAT news to me b/c I live in a city (Atlanta) where fine shoes are pretty scarce. I've been trying to figure out my size in EG/Vass/St. Crispin so I can order from home. The Vass U last is my favorite so knowing that it's similar to the 337, which I know fits, means I will soon be placing Vass orders
devil.gif
devil.gif

One last thing if you don't mind...if I wear a 9E UK in the 337 would you suggest a 43 or 43.5 in Vass U-last?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Very helpful VR. Seeing the last really spells it out.

I'll archive the last comparison pic in the pictorial index thread.

Originally Posted by Chris Rimby
One last thing if you don't mind...if I wear a 9E UK in the 337 would you suggest a 43 or 43.5 in Vass U-last?

I try to avoid this type of question, there's nothing more accurate regarding fit than trying the shoes on
teacha.gif
. That being said, I'd suggest 43 in U last. But don't hold me responsible if they don't fit properly.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to avoid this type of question, there's nothing more accurate regarding fit than trying the shoes on
teacha.gif
. That being said, I'd suggest 43 in U last. But don't hold me responsible if they don't fit properly.

Of course not. Just looking for an educated opinion. Thanks.

argoth

Reaction score
Just for more input, I'm an 8.5E UK on the CJ 337 and a 43 Vass U-Last. YMMV, good luck!

Arg

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by argoth
Just for more input, I'm an 8.5E UK on the CJ 337 and a 43 Vass U-Last. YMMV, good luck!

Arg

Thanks argoth. This fits in with A Harris' advice for me to try a 43.5 Vass U-Last. 8.5E UK in the 337 is too tight for me. 9E UK 337 fits just right.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chris, please disregard my earlier suggestion and follow A Harris and argoth's.

This is the last installment of Balint and Vienna shoe Appreciation:

p102023bxg3.jpg

p102023cek5.jpg

p1020230auj2.jpg

p1020224azm0.jpg

p1020223akn8.jpg

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chris, please disregard my earlier suggestion and follow A Harris and argoth's.

Thanks von Rothbart. Thanks also for all this majestic shoe Appreciation
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Schweet
inlove.gif

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VR,

The Vass last comparisons are superb. Puts U and F into perspective. Many thanks.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Rimby
Thanks argoth. This fits in with A Harris' advice for me to try a 43.5 Vass U-Last. 8.5E UK in the 337 is too tight for me. 9E UK 337 fits just right.

I would second this -- I have 9E in 337 and 43.5 in U-last, which fit perfectly. If you're going for the F-last, it would be 43, though.

von Rothbart, I'm not sure if Vass doesn't have half-size trees. Mine are labeled "43--", which indicates a 43.5 size, bought from Bergdorf Goodman.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Does any one know the technical /proper name for these G&G suede shoes?

I think the proper name is the "Sweet" model, in chocolate suede.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
I would second this -- I have 9E in 337 and 43.5 in U-last, which fit perfectly. If you're going for the F-last, it would be 43, though.

Fantastic. Looks like it's set then. Thanks for the help!

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P3R3
I know these are no comparison to the masterpieces in this thread, but how did I do? I did'nt really expect to win these, and these are my first pair of Oxfords (believe it or not).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3173&rd=1&rd=1

At that price, how can you go wrong? (Well, you could if you got a Kenneth Cole monstrosity, but you did well - a very classic-looking shoe.)

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P3R3
I know these are no comparison to the masterpieces in this thread, but how did I do? I did'nt really expect to win these, and these are my first pair of Oxfords (believe it or not).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3173&rd=1&rd=1

The shoes look decent and the model is a classic. You did good. You can't even get a pair of shoes resoled at that price.

Originally Posted by Earthmover
von Rothbart, I'm not sure if Vass doesn't have half-size trees. Mine are labeled "43--", which indicates a 43.5 size, bought from Bergdorf Goodman.

The store manager at the Vass store told me shoe trees came in full sizes only. The pair of F Theresainder boots are 43.5 and come with size 43 trees. May be Vass does things differently with BG or export markets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads