• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbb1283

Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Thanks for the compliments. I think the patina, after it develops naturally over time, will look spectacular. I am thinking of mirror shine the toe to create some contrast. I wasn't too crazy about the "Northstar" medallion at the beginning, but without it, it'd make the design too austere. Replacing it with a more tradition medallion, don't think it'll fit in with the streamline design.

Z, your welt does look bigger, don't know if it's the photo angle. I like the welt cutting closer to the upper, it's more elegant. What color is yours? It looks great in that color.

Did you get these from NM? I just bought a pair, but am waiting on my size as they were out at my NM. They were "cheap" by Lobb standards.
thumbs-up.gif

augustin

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the easiest way to find Ludwig Reiter is to stand in the doorway where the cat found Harry Lime and look to the right. Classic location for a classic shoe.

Frittata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
I really like these but am not sure if that asterisk design on the toe is too playful looking for business purposes.
guy...almost every statement of you makes me
plain.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yep-- asterisk pattern on the toe cap is a little wild.

I can just see the conflict now, at a prestigious firm in Manhattan or London:

"I say, those are some nice antiqued brown shoes you've got there, and....wait!!
Is that some sort of newfangled pattern on the toecap? An asterisk, maybe?
I THINK IT IS!! My good man, THIS is not a firm based on footnotes, or notes placed later in text!! PACK UP YOUR THINGS-- I BID YOU GOOD DAY!!"

Now, a skull and crossbones by barker black, or a girl in lingerie on the soles from paul smith would definitely be too much for most business environs....but an asterisk? [*I have a pair of the suttons in parisian brown]

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Z, I notice yours have the old-style shoe trees while mine have the current ones, so I wonder if the difference in the welting have anything to do with production dates. I much prefer the old trees, the ones without the metal knobs.

Originally Posted by hbb1283
Did you get these from NM? I just bought a pair, but am waiting on my size as they were out at my NM. They were "cheap" by Lobb standards.
thumbs-up.gif

I got mine from the John Lobb store on Madison Ave. during its semi-annual sale last December. I don't think any of the NM in the NYC area carries JL.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EvEr37
Just bought these on ebay. Hope they fit.
Wow, that's a high price they were charging. Good luck.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My miniscule collection
smile.gif
-
DSC_0006.jpg

My personal shoes, some older Bostonians in need of a polish. I think I will do that tonight!
-----
DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

I wear these occasionally, some Allen Edmonds that belong to my dad. I love these shoes.
-----
DSC_0010.jpg

Berninis, my dad's personal favorite.

Not much there (I only have 1 pair of my own) but at least I have my dad's if I need them!

Brian

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plus cowboy boots which are uniquely America. I guess I may have a better understanding of your perspective. If I grew up (I didn't) wearing Weejuns or cowboy boots, I'd develop some kind of emotional bonds with that kind of styles of shoes like you did with Haferlschuhe.

Thanks, von Rothbart.

I have to excuse. Have been screwed up from some annoying things during the day and that was one of the results.

But to be true. It is really a traditional footwear in the Alps regions of Austria(Salzburg, The Tyrol, Styria, Salzkammergut) and Bavaria.
Have you ever heard of this? The Goiserer: www.goiserer.at
Site is in German, but there are really nice pictures, from where you get a good impression of the heritage.

Next time I am in Vienna, I'll take you up with your offer.

Would be nice. Looking forward to it.

Greetings from Austria

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by augustin
If I recall correctly, the easiest way to find Ludwig Reiter is to stand in the doorway where the cat found Harry Lime and look to the right. Classic location for a classic shoe.

"The third man", great movie. A must see. http://www.thethirdman.net/

EvEr37

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Wow, that's a high price they were charging. Good luck.

Did not pay that high of a price though! made an email offer and accepted it

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brian, I know you're only 15, but get your dad some shoe trees!

Originally Posted by JetBlast
My miniscule collection
smile.gif
-
DSC_0006.jpg

My personal shoes, some older Bostonians in need of a polish. I think I will do that tonight!
-----
DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

I wear these occasionally, some Allen Edmonds that belong to my dad. I love these shoes.
-----
DSC_0010.jpg

Berninis, my dad's personal favorite.

Not much there (I only have 1 pair of my own) but at least I have my dad's if I need them!

Brian

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, I really should. I'll probably throw them in as a birthday gift or something. Anyone know where I can buy some?

Thanks
Brian

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
+3 on the trees. You won't believe how they will help.

Also, shine those puppies up.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads