• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
These shoes are nice. I'd be interested to see a pic of you wearing them in better light. I have a pair of navy shoes, but haven't worn them yet; thus, I'm interested to see how folks pair them with their clothing.

Blue jeans on your file cabinet?

I only got them today, but given how deep the blue is, my intention is to treat them as black shoes, with perhaps a slight bias toward wearing them with something with a hint of blue in it--as today, when I wore a charcoal flannel with white and blue "fancy" stripes. I don't know, but I suppose it's possible, that a mid-grey suit would somehow highlight their non-blackness. But really, they seem to me to be all but black---not to say blacker than black. It happens that today I was wearing a pair of black EGs on the 202. I held them side by side, and that was pretty much the only way to see that these were not, in fact, truly black. The wine color, to my eye, has a more pronounced color cast to it than these do, which is pretty much what I was hoping.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I only got them today, but given how deep the blue is, my intention is to treat them as black shoes, with perhaps a slight bias toward wearing them with something with a hint of blue in it--as today, when I wore a charcoal flannel with white and blue "fancy" stripes. I don't know, but I suppose it's possible, that a mid-grey suit would somehow highlight their non-blackness. But really, they seem to me to be all but black---not to say blacker than black. It happens that today I was wearing a pair of black EGs on the 202. I held them side by side, and that was pretty much the only way to see that these were not, in fact, truly black. The wine color, to my eye, has a more pronounced color cast to it than these do, which is pretty much what I was hoping.
I'm planning to treat mine similarly by wearing them with grey flannel, charcoal, and maybe even a navy suit. One reason I haven't worn mine is the lack of a navy belt. Fortunately, that was remedied today with the arrival of a navy croc belt. I'm now looking forward to wearing the shoes by the end of the week.

jsherman02

Reaction score
New C & J boots - Tetbury in suede.

$306 shipped from Pediwear.

CJboots003.jpg

CJboots006.jpg

CJboots005.jpg

CJboots004.jpg

CJboots007.jpg

jjjohn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I have two, Shikar has three, I thought Portnoy ended up with five--that's 10 right there. So 30-40 seems low if anything.

I'd like to know whose idea it was to order them, since they appear to have sold none at retail.

It will be more than that, I helped to buy over 15 pairs now. (I got two pair for myself).

AgentQ

Reaction score
C&J Tavistock, Handgrade on 337 last.

31659jm.jpg

3445g8x.jpg

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about these. Does anybody else own this pair? What do you think?

Harrydog

Reaction score
I have them and like them fine.

What's not to like? I like the 337 last and the austerity brogue is great.

I may prefer the line of my EG Beaulieu on the 82 better, but the C&J is a nice shoe. I wear mine often. It is one of the few black shoes I own.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
C&J Tavistock, Handgrade on 337 last.

31659jm.jpg

3445g8x.jpg

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about these. Does anybody else own this pair? What do you think?

I don't own a pair, but they look nice to me.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this pair of Martegani's - hopefully they will work out cause they sure look good
smile.gif
1cee_3.JPG
1fb1_3.JPG

XdryMartini

Reaction score
JLBringtonGreenMuseum001.jpg

JLBringtonGreenMuseum002.jpg

JLBringtonGreenMuseum003.jpg

JL Brington
Green Museum

In better light, they really are more green... A very deep olive.

These pictures are after about a dozen wearings over the last 9 months or so... They're holding up very well!

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
New Martegani Sorrento's... love the "U" throat.

img0094uw3.jpg

img0095le6.jpg

Very nice. Have been thinking about getting a pair of these, did you find that it runs true to size (compared to AE, for example)? Looks to be slightly narrow and long.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Very nice. Have been thinking about getting a pair of these, did you find that it runs true to size (compared to AE, for example)? Looks to be slightly narrow and long.

The Martegani 3B last generally runs fairly narrow. I'm an 11.5B in AE- I'm an 11 (D) in this last. That said, the U throat is leaving these feeling just a little wider than, say, the Sienna's on the same last.

walneal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 3Bs I have run 1/2 size large as told by Ron,
and IMO they run wider in the forefoot, I am US8D AE and stamped sz 7 in 3B last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads